Thursday, April 28, 2016

Hooking away on a lake with Sweet ducks and a Canadian goose




                                                            What a pretty Canadian Goose




  Canadian goose
 at Santee Lakes







My daughter and hubby





The little cabins



It was just what I needed a few days on a quiet lake to get back to my rug hooking and get some needed down time. It was a whirlwind of activity before we left for Santee Lakes.  We had a friend staying at our house while we were gone so I wanted a clean house before I left . Maulie and Morris and the chickens were safe in Jeff's hands as he babysat my little critters.

My 62 birthday was so much fun! I totally feel so much younger and I think it's because I have lots of interests! As we arrived at Santee Lakes it was a wait til we could get into the cabin.I could hardly wait to see the inside of that little cabin.I was so excited! The check in was at three thirty which gave us time to explore the area.

The cabin was like a little tiny house but bigger. It was so cute! We paddled around the lake went out to dinner opened my presents and I truly had one of the best birthdays! I even hooked away on my rug.It was perfect to wake up in the morning and have a cup of java and enjoy my vacation.

                                                                    I rug hooked away!

The ducks were so fun to watch every day. I felt like I got to know them in the short time we were there.We were on a floating cabin which yo could feel move sometimes. The ducks would follow us as we got to the dock and wait patiently for us to feed them.The minute duckweed would see us he would swim from the shore and up to our cabin. Most of the ducks are at the other lakes so this is one smart duck to stake out his area at the cabins.
 On the lake there were cat tails and bamboo where the different ducks would hide at times. You could paddle slowly near the reeds and then you could hear them rustling in the dense reeds.
It was like being at the jungle boat cruise at Disneyland.Lol
My favorite little duck was Duckweed Little Jack named him and loved to throw bread to him. Paddling around the lake was so restful in the morning. We could see fishermen fishing and the ducks gliding on the smooth water.I loved watching them take off and glide quickly across the lake in the morning.
Santee Lakes is a series of man made lakes in Santee. When we were kids we would go there for family reunions. It was a really hot couple of days so going to the pool was so relaxing.I never thought a staycation could be so relaxing.

                                                                       Our paddle boat



                                                            These were Duckweeds
                                                           That was the name little Jack gave them





                                                                             Jack

One day my Aunt Sophie came and visited me with my cousin. It was great it was like having my Dad with me for a little bit. She has memory issues and it comes and go but my Aunt still remembers me. We sat on our deck looking out at the lake.


The funniest moment was when little Jack got a lollipop from my cousin and as little Jack carefully unwrapped it to eat it. Dear Aunt Sophie whispered to little Jack  ."Thank you for unwrapping the lollipop for me"I watched as the wheels spun in that four year old little brain . He quickly popped the sucker in his mouth and opened the sliding glass door,went inside the cabin and stared at us.She laughed and as little Jack peered at her from inside the cabin he must have thought about it and later offered his Great Aunt Sophie some gummy candy my cousin had given him. Aunt Sophie still has her sense of humor.




Somebody wants all the food to themselves

Poor Duckweed!











Well that was our mini vacation 
**************************************************************************************


Linda's newest quilt she made


It's Spring
I have been going to lovely gardens lately next blog post will
be the gardens I have visited.







9 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my, it sounds just perfect. I have always wanted to vacation on a houseboat. Little Jack just cracks me up. I can see his little mind wondering if this old lady is going to take his candy. But how sweet of him to later offer her some. He is such a gentleman.

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a perfect vacation! Your pictures with the duck and tree reflections are beautiful.
Hook on, my friend :)
Lauren

Saundra said...

Ahhhh, I feel all refreshed just reading your blog and looking at your pictures. Funny story about little Jack and Auntie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Gals, Sometimes you just need to see something different even if its practically in your backyard. It was restful.
I enjoyed hooking on a lake. It's probably the closest thing to going on a rug hooking retreat.
I am hooking away today. I have midsomer murders on and a small fire going and I am having a lovely day.
Hugs cheri

acorn hollow said...

What a wonderful vacation! It sounds and looks like heaven
cathy

Farm Girl said...

What a lovely birthday you had!! I always have thought you were about 40!! Seeing that picture of you I still think you are about 40. You look so young. Are you sure you are 62?
It looks so restful just looking at your pictures. I don't know if I would ever want to go home.
I don't think I will ever get to a rug hooking retreat either. :)
Have a nice week,

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi cathy it was alot of fun.
Farmgirl Thank you I wish I was 40 lol!
I am young at heart I think.
I am a homebody so it was nice to get home and get back to My animals. Cheri
My hubby is completely grey and were the same age. I must have given him all his grey hair!
Have a great weekend!

Linda said...

Your photos are beautiful and it is so nice to see the Canada goose in your first two photos! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks linda, lol Oh I thought it was a big duck!
I will have to change my identification on my blog.
I wonder what it's doing in Southern California
It is a pretty bird. Hugs cheri