Tuesday, March 1, 2016

The beginning of Spring in Linda's California drought tolerant garden

                                                    California poppy in Linda's garden


It feels like a wonderful early Spring in San Diego County. My friends and I are all busy in our different style gardens.I have been busy visiting friends gardens and running around as usual.I saw Dee's garden last week and took some pictures which I will share at a later post.

It's fun to get a free plant to take home after walking thru a friends pretty garden.I have been super busy as usual between weeding,transplanting I am a little bit tired.

Morris has been busy stalking baby bunnies and I am sad to say he has killed two but I did save one bunny from his jaws.I literally opened up that crazy cats mouth.

  I have decided to get chickens again and have been getting all the stuff you need ready for baby chicks.
I already have one name picked out Violet.That should happen in a couple weeks.I am only getting three or four chicks this time.

Today I decided to move some Iris because I had the Irises in direct sun.I know it's the worst time but it needed to be done.I doubt if they will bloom now. Hopefully that will help with my watering bills in the summer. So now I will transplant tomorrow a plant that can take the heat of summer and I don't have to water it as much.This one might work.



 During the week Linda and I got together and went driving around nurseries.
 At Mission Hills there were several pretty chickens walking around the nursery. I bought some plants for my goldfish at Walter Anderson and I bought some plants for my garden that will attract more butterflies.I found a beautiful Day Lily.

Linda is a wealth of knowledge about native plants. I would eagerly ask her the name of the plant as we walked around her wonderful drought tolerant garden, then promptly forgot the Latin name!
 I am just so busy taking pictures and enjoying all the different plants I guess my brain is occupied! Believe it or not I took a plant identification class in college and had to memorize plant names and did pretty well what happened?
I saw this beautiful tree at Linda's home I just have to grow it in my garden.I am on a quest to find it.
Mexican Redbud



We bought the same rose.
Mine did not have that result! 



Beautiful

Linda's front yard 
 No grass











Linda divided some cuttings for me






Front yard



It is not always about color




More cuttings



This is what a good watering of rain can do






Wheeler making his rounds


 Linda quilt in progress



10 comments:

acorn hollow said...

So pretty way prettier thank what is going on in our area.
Cathy

Saundra said...

Beautiful stroll thru the gardens, thanks for sharing.

When I lived in California loved all the ice plant (think that is what it was called) hanging draped along the freeway walls. And when first moving here 20 years ago used to love gardening. But then after my husband left me it was just me to tend grass, pull weed, pick up limbs and pinecones, etc. So now I do what must be tended to and not invite more work for myself.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, I do most of the yard work and I have always loved working in the dirt. It gives me a certain peace.
I am changing what I am putting in my garden as I age to make it easier as I get older. I can't do heavy cutting of branches but hubby can when he gets to it. Lol.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Cathy I love Linda's garden it is so interesting.

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a magnificent garden tour. THANK YOU!
I always hated when the cat got a baby bunny. Just made me cry :(
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Lauren I was so bummed when Morris started stalking bunnies. I am glad you liked the garden tour. Have a great week. Hugs cheri

kelley said...

Thank you for sharing this beautiful garden...I can see why you're searching for that beautiful tree...

Larkrise garden girl said...

I love that tree, I will be sure and tell Linda about your nice comment.hugs cheri

Farm Girl said...

We are going to have to think about taking out our front yard and putting in drought tolerant plants. I like that yard, it looks great.
How nice that you get to go do that. It looks like so much fun. I am so glad you are getting chicks. I do enjoy getting chicks so much.
I don't think I am going to get any this year though. Who knows though. :)

Larkrise garden girl said...

I am so excited getting ready for my chicks! I am going to get everything ready this week after the rain is over. Water is going to be expensive in California from now on so more and more people are getting rid of their lawns. At least its raining today! Hugs cheri