Thursday, July 16, 2015

Mingei International Museum Black doll exhibit was wonderful!




                                                                   


It's one hot day in Crest. I have the air conditioning going on high and I am still sweating. I just noticed as I am sitting here a lady and a child walking their horse in front of my home.It seems odd since it's so hot a day usually people ride early morning or late afternoon. Morris my big orange cat is laying on the big brown easy chair taking a snooze and Maulie my little shitzu is laying on the kitchen tile taking in the cold tile on her chunky little belly.
So what better idea then blog about a wonderful day I had.  Now on to my memory of a wonderful  exhibit at the Mingei Museum in Balboa Park!


                                                             Balboa Park
The Mingei is an International Museum dealing with craft and folk art in San Diego California .For a short couple of months they had a wonderful exhibit on antique black dolls.
A collector from back east had generously allowed the museum to display just a small part of her black doll collection. My girlfriend and I went a couple days before it left San Diego and I am so truly glad I went.

 I have loved Amish dolls, plain faceless dolls,china dolls and of course black doll! I love folk art and here is a snippet of what my girlfriend Linda and I saw that day.





I have to say the picture quality is not good. The exhibit was lit with soft lighting to protect the dolls. No flash was allowed it was strictly enforced.The dolls were behind some kind of hard plastic everything reflected when I would try to take a picture. You can't see the details of the buttons for eyes or the embroidery on the faces.I did the best I could with my camera.
 I am tempted to buy the book.



                                                       The second story of the Mingei had quilts and folk Art


I sure wish my blogger friends could have seen how wonderful the exhibit was! 
Some dolls were only in their undergarments . The collector felt if the doll had the wrong era clothing on she tossed it.
 Also I learned black dolls were made for business to display outfits and also made for play. Some of these dolls were made before the sewing machine.
I could see this as a hooked rug!









I liked the embroidery













doll house


quilts




 I Hope you enjoyed the exhibit!



10 comments:

Saundra said...

Oh my Cheri you hit on a subject I love so much....black dolls. Your post makes me want to make one again. A lot of the antique dolls, black and white were filled with sawdust or rags. Cotton was being picked for sale so wouldn't have been used as that was a money making commodity.

I loved that primitive quilt you posted. Always look forward to your posts.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, i have a bunch of black dolls that i have wanted to finish. There were even dolls that had coconuts for heads and carved out eye sockets to put buttons for eyes! It was so interesting. Be sure and click the picture for a slideshow and you can see more details of their faces.

kelley said...

Thanks for sharing your visit...would love to see those dolls in person...

Larkrise garden girl said...

I know you would have loved it!

Larkrise garden girl said...

I know you would have loved it!

Julia said...

So sorry for having missed your post Cheri. The black doll exhibit is showing really well even though you had to take photos through glass and no flash.

I've never made black dolls but I have made dolls with whatever fabric I could use when I was a child. I supposed they did the same thing. Those dolls meant the world to me. Had I known that they would become collector items I would have made more and kept them.

Take care and again sorry for missing your blog. I'm late for my farm work. It's been crazy busy around here lately. Hope you're having a great summer despite the heat. Stay safe from fires.
Hugs,
JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

I know Julia i have been super busy too.i too love homemade dolls and especially because people used what they had. That is the best kind of dolls!

Rugs and Pugs said...

What a wonderful exhibit. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs :)
Lauren

JR Bush said...

That was my cup of tea. Really enjoyed it. Your photos were very good.
Where do you think we could get the book? I love rag dolls and have
several that my mother made and others that I have collected over the
years. This makes me want to try to make one. Julia in SC

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia in SC, I am sorry it took me so long to respond my daughter was in the hospital. Anyhow I am sure you could try and see if the museum ships the book
in the U.S. I did see copies there.hugs cheri