Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A new crop of Wool Crazy quilts and lightening

Yesterday I thought I was in the Midwest! I had noticed the sky becoming darker and the clouds stacking up filling with something I once recalled before the California drought.
Could it be that elusive weather phenomenon called Rain!
                                                 Talented classmates and their Crazy quilts



So I picked up the phone dialed Dee. Since I am up Crest and she is in La Mesa it would hit me first Well it came in like a Midwest spring storm on a rampage and ended as quickly.

 One minute I was talking to Dee about I think were getting rain to hanging up and having to try to close the skylight in the kitchen. Since by that time there was rain in the kitchen I couldn't get the dumb latch to close because the metal was so slippery. Then I noticed that the rain was all over the front of the kitchen because I had not closed the door and so all the rain was going thru the screen door.

Well now comes the silly part I was watching this crazy strong lightening and for some reason I wanted Dee to hear it. Since Crest is on top of a hill it seemed so near. I had secured the skylight I would then walk to the screen door so Dee could hear how strong the rain was coming down.



                                      This is the quilt by JoAnn Mullaly that started it all




 It's been a while since we have had lightening and it is usually at least 10 miles away by the flash.I could see the flash and the storm seemed to be coming right thru little Crest.So one minute I am chatting with Dee telling her how hard the rain is coming down and excitedly holding the phone away from me so she can hear when Kaboom!
                                                                 Every ones quilts are unique


As I was telling Dee to listen there was this huge lightening bolt I saw the flash and three seconds later the most explosive sound I have ever heard.
I put the phone to my head to tell Dee wasn't that the loudest thing you have ever heard?
Dee ! Dee! no Dee the phone was dead the electricity was out and no Internet.

In San Diego county our weather is milk toast compared to other places in the United States so it must seem silly when other states get spring showers every afternoon.So here I was with no phone service and a humid house heating up with no air conditioner going and not knowing if Dee heard the huge lightening strike.




 The electricity  stayed off til almost six and I was pretty hot all day.  Hubby came home I couldn't make dinner no electricity.He was a little annoyed hunger does it to a guy. I guess after feeding him some celery sticks and peanut butter I remembered Tuna sandwiches.As we sat there munching on celery sticks and now our unimpressive tuna sandwiches.
I told hubby how I wonder what the news is saying. Well why didn't I turn
 on the radio he asked.I forgot we had gotten new batteries.
Then he asked why didn't I phone him?

 The cell phone is not working the Internet is down I explained.
You have to understand I just use my phone for emergency when I am driving somewhere in case I break down.(I worked for Pacific bell in my twenty's which cured me of wanting people to track me all day on the phone)
So I barely know how it works well I gave it to him and he turned it on.

Feeling pretty silly I just looked at him and informed him I think I  could be sitting with a bowl of food in front of me and starve to death.





8 comments:

Kim said...

Hahahaha that made me laugh out loud. You know you're not supposed to stay on the phone when it's lightening out.

Julia said...

Those quilts are so pretty...

Oh my goodness, I'm too scared to talk on the phone when there's lightning. It must have been very close to make such a loud noise when the thunder hit.

I hope that nothing got damaged in your house from all the rain but I hope you got enough to dampen the soil.
Hugs,
JB

Farm Girl said...

We have had thunder and lighting and humidity. Just like the Midwest. That is interesting how the storm hit you. Lovely quilts today.
I just love that bottom one with the chickens. I hope you have a really nice weekend.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Is that true you can't talk on the phone when there is a lightening storm?


I fiquered I have some huge trees in my back yard and they would be hit before I was. It was so loud and crackly
Dee did hear it before the phone went dead . My phone is still acting up since the lightening and I had to call repair service.
Have a good week!!

Saundra said...

Wow, you certainly had some excitement. Nope, I do not talk on the phone, take a shower, wash dishes or sit in front of the TV during a lightening storm. You're lucky it was just the phone who went on the fritz.

Hope your American holiday weekend is a good and safe one.

Saundra said...

Olde Hearts.... thanks for your follow up and compliments. I know there was an antique rug and have seen the patterns offered by Woolley Fox called Olde Hearts and Amherst rughooking which she calls Antique Hearts; both were adapted from the antique. But I've never seen a picture of the original antique and was hoping someone had a picture of it they could email me. If she has a picture of the original antique I'd love it if she would send me a picture by email at: saundra125@comcast.net. Thanks.

Oh, loved all the crazy quilts and forgot to mention that before.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Wonderful crazy quilts!
So did you get much rain?
Happy 4th to you.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Lauren the rain was intense for about 15 minutes and then gone in a flash!