Friday, September 12, 2014

A celebration of average primitive rug hooking



                                                        Donna's rug is far from average
                                                        she is still binding her rug
                                                        Pattern Star Rug


 My tired hubby is asleep the lights are all off in my sweet little yellow house. Little Jack is visiting for a couple of days and went to bed  pretty easy tonight. Maulie is asleep at my feet and Morris is out enjoying himself sitting on the porch watching the night. The hum of the fan has not yet lulled me to sleep just got me thinking.I am slightly amazed whenever I look at Pinterest there are all these wonderful quotes people find about life that sum up any life experience you have ever had.I have to write a post when someone else can say it in three sentences silly me.
  This life of ours goes by so quickly and as I sit here I realize I will never be the best rug hooker in the world. I will never be a house hold name I will probably never have my primitive rugs displayed  at Sauder Village and yet I continually strive to make something better in all my crafts and hobbies I love. I look at my work on my current Primitive chicken rug and try to get the colors just right.It doesn't matter if I am the only one that knows how much work I put into it I know it.I sometimes think that some people are born with a passion to make something. The parts of a creative mind is in our genes when we were born.I know the world celebrates the best of everything there is no museum for those that love to make something that only a mother could love.
The people that are just average and yet little by little they make those simple improvements in every new rug they make.Nobody will ever know some lady in a little yellow house loved to rug hook and make quilts to celebrate the seasons.
When I sit down coffee in hand I think how so much alike we all are in the community of bloggers  sometimes timidly sharing our creative endeavors with each other. Even though were all so busy helping others from Julia running a dairy farm to Kim starting a new life and home.We all seem to have new life challenges thrust on all of us a little too fast for us to enjoy. That's when it happens we have that spare moment and we pick up a hook sit at a sewing machine or make a quilt or countless other crafts that allow up to express ourselves.Did I forget try to knit socks in ninety degree temperatures..


                                                          Stephanie hooked this horse

 I have seen so much simple every day life played out in my rug hooking groups and the many classes I have attended.I have watched women battle breast cancer and face one life challenge after another with dignity.The ladies that have lost husbands to illness and those that rise to the challenge of caring for husbands and parents with Alzheimer. Faithfully these woman try to keep the joy of creating spirit alive with the simple act of making a hooked rug one simple wool loop after another. I have quietly observed courage in the simple act of sitting in a chair and picking up a hook and making something  beautiful while so much is going on at home in someones personal life that no one will ever see.
So maybe your rug hooking needs improvement and someone else is the best at everything they make.You feel like your in a room full of Magdalena Briner Eby's. You look at your rugs and wonder is it worth all this time on this craft I don't seem to be progressing like I want to.Whose going to know that wool cost a pretty penny and you covet someones wool stash like a woman with designer purse envy which I must say is totally not me.Any time I have gone with my daughter to some outlet store and watched my daughter buy a purse I cringe and think I could buy so much wool with that money.
It's now been years later when you think you should be a little better at your rug hooking but really that's just how you hook your loops are still uneven and you know your color choices sometimes make others quietly wonder.I can only say happily oh yes don't give up the dream because behind those little lumpy little loops is a story in its self. Knowing that chances are someday someone will pick up your rugs maybe at a thrift store and as they contemplate whether to buy it or not.I know you'll be thinking up there in rug hooking heaven if they only knew as Paul Harvey an old radio story teller would say " The rest of the story!"


                                              I am not sure what color to do the sides.
                                              Any ideas? I think I have too much red





                                                          I still love this rug I made years ago

14 comments:

Saundra said...

And I love that rug too. There is NOTHING ordinary about you, your friends or anyone's hooking. That is what we do to bond and to heal; to connect with someone or inside ourselves for a moment or half hour of peace.

You spoke VOLUMNS woman and while I connected to the sense of your words I've always connected with your extra ordinary hooking. Just keep on doing what you're doing. HUGS.

Saundra

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra , I do love to hook and to try to improve every time I put my hook in my hand. I just wanted to say how it's not always the outcome of what your making but the process and I am proud I am a woman because we are tough birds and yet we have a depth that sometimes doesn't show up in what we're putting on our walls or floors. Keep up your tutorials I love them I always learn something. Hugs cheri

Farm Girl said...

I love this post because you wrote what I have been thinking all summer. I will never be the rug hooker, seamstress or anything I aspire to be but I am finding I really like the journey. I love your rugs and what I like your colors and the joy you have for your rugs comes through. You have your hands pretty full right now and you are one of those women who is a hero and not ordinary at all.
You are special and I think you are a wonderful writer.
You see beauty in life and to me that is a gift.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim, what sweet words I wrote this for us all that live our lives with so much going on watching others with amazement how they carry on. I love your blog you liked Mary Stewart I loved Phyllis Whitney! I am so glad we' have the opportunity to express ourselves in our love of creating things with our hands. I just wish the journey would show up better in what we create. Lol hugs cheri

Julia said...

Cheri, this post is rich in truth and observation. It brings warmth to my heart. I love your rugs and I know the attention you put into hooking them.

You are always finding beauty and good in your daily life and I know that life hasn't been easy for you especially with having a sick daughter to worry about but your words are hitting a cord with me.

I've always thought that I was less than others until I realized that God loves me so much and that He created me unique, gave me talents and send me on my way to develop them the best I could under the circumstances of my life. You are pretty special and you really have talents in hooking your special rugs. You have a style that is remarkably yours.

About your rooster rug, I would lean toward the blue. Your red is well balanced. I love your rooster.

Out temperature is getting colder in the morning now and I have to wear sweat shirt to go to work at the barn and it gets warmer in the afternoon. I love early fall.

Have a great week Cheri
Big hug,
JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia the dear Lord did make us just the way we are but gosh I wish he had put a little bit more talent in my color selections in my rugs. I agree with you the blue. Would be Better . Life is a challenge with my daughters illness but I know what ever God puts in our lives he gives us the strength to handle it . I am amazed and how much you do in your life as a dairy farmer. You wear so many hats in your life and do it well. It's going to be a 104 I sure wish I was having a nice cool fall , hugs Cheri

Miccosukee said...

Julia,
Thanks for putting into words just how so many of us feel about our hooking. I still fumble around and pull up loops that never look like the ones I see in my books and magazines.
Your chicken rug is adorable as is. But since you asked,in my humble opinion, I would not use either the blue or red on the sides. I would pull out the some colors that go back to the golds in the stars.
trisha

Larkrise garden girl said...

That's a good idea . I think if I could find a color for the top heart then use what ever color that is as the sides too. I have to go to the country loft and check out the wool. Hugs cheri

Kim said...

There is absolutely nothing average about you my dear! We all have different passions, different styles and techniques and even different moods affect how I hook. I'll never be famous, but hooking a rug makes me happy. And that's why we do it
Hugs, Kim

Larkrise garden girl said...

Kim you do wonderful rug hooking but behind the scenes of your compassionate life is a story in its self , hugs cheri

Pom Pom said...

I love your art. Your rugs are forever treasures. There is something so holy and right about working with our hands and creating. Yay!

Larkrise garden girl said...

You said that so well,there is something so holy in what we create with our hands. Hugs cheri

Jennie in GA said...

Oh what a wonderful expression of the lives of so many of us....me included. Thank you for expressing so eloquently what many of us feel!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Jennie I knew that I was not the only person out there that feels this way. Hugs cheri