Sunday, May 18, 2014

Dolphins and Nine Fires in Southern California







A peaceful moment is what every soul needs a moment where you have that real deep feeling of letting all the air out of your body and just plain relaxing contentment. Two Fridays ago was a spur of the moment happy lucky moment.  My daughter wanted to get out of the house and not just a trip to a doctors office so I suggested lets explore San Marcos where she had moved to about four months ago.I was driving my daughter around and I told her about a park called Double Peak park in San Marcos where you have a great view of North County. So with Megan on the cell phone little Jack strapped in his car seat and me driving we went in search of the highest point in San Marcos.Megan navigated I drove. It was an easy drive up a very long hill! We could see one of the hospitals Megan had been at four months ago.We saw the San Marcos University on the side of us and lots of new homes and then at the top a great view all the way to the ocean. Megan couldn't walk to the very top so I grabbed Jacks little hand and we walked up the last one hundred yards. Now little Jack is going thru a phase where I swear he thinks we don't know how to take care of him. As we walked up the last part little Jack kept informing me Nana I can't climb mountains!  Well  I told him we just did.

As I looked down at Megan looking at the sites of the city we both came up with a brilliant idea lets go to the ocean. So we plopped back in the car and drove away thank God for cell phones with directions I thought.
We arrived in Carlsbad and looked for the nearest point with access to the beach without much walking. Megan has gone from unable to walk without a walker to now a AFO that is a brace she wears to keep her foot from turning in. Megan has taken months to regain her core strength and just sitting up for any length of time like driving to a doctors office would wipe her out.So this was a big deal! What others take for granted is a  huge challenge for her.Just think how hard it would be to learn to walk again not once but three times in the last five or six years.It's amazing how hard you can work trying to catch up on what you have lost.

dolphin



 I couldn't believe here we were at the beach with all that uneven sand and so close to the water. I asked my daughter do you think you can walk on the sand with your brace? I thought to my self  if she fell at least it would be soft and not break anything. So with that all of us three little day explorers walked thru the sand to the ocean. It was beautiful!
I have usually gone to beaches like La Jolla shores it never seemed loud but this little beach you could hear the crashing surf as it hit the shore with a sound like soft thunder .The crashing waves made you have to speak up to be heard.At first little Jack was terrified. Jack informed me he can't go to the beach he can't swim!
We slowly walked thru the uneven sand and up to the beautiful oceans edge with our toes touching the great  Pacific Ocean in the wet sand and such a victory.
I forgot how wonderful the Ocean is there were seagulls,pelicans and happily very few people.We sat there collecting small broken shells the sea spray in our faces it was such a beautiful feeling four months of pure worry to just fade for a moment  and enjoy the sun baked rays and gazing at the vast Ocean. I felt so little. One moment  we were at Twin Peaks park and then thirty minutes later sitting on the Carlsbad beach all in one day.

There was a pod of dolphins that started swimming close to shore and we could see them as they were traveling south. They would play in the surf and as they moved by us you would see the beach goers pointing at where the dolphins were swimming.
I have never seen dolphins in the ocean. My Dad had a sailboat and we never saw them as we sailed around San Diego.In all my years I have only seen dolphins at Sea World. This was little Jacks first trip to the beach and he saw Dolphins!
As I reflected on last week  I thought what are the chances of seeing Dolphins so close to shore.What a blessing the day was.

Update well this week has been crazy Fire central!
Megan lives on the edge of San Marcos and this last week we got caught up in the the road closures as the fire was bouncing around San Marcos near Twin Peaks where  we were stuck in a line of cars that became the evacuation zone while coming back from a doctor appointment in Encinitas.

                                               Jack and I went below the doctors office while
                                              he waited for mom and a trip to the library notice
                                              Thomas the train in his hand!







                                Taken off a news site we were behind the fire stuck in a line of cars!    

Anyhow I didn't want to be on the freeway because of all the congestion and the nine fires . Instead we were stuck in a long line of cars that were bring turned around as fire trucks maneuvered around all the cars sirens blazing!. We could see as the fire was growing larger with the black smoke! The fire was on the side of us behind the hill we could see the dark smoke not the flames but not sure how close it was. It was nerve racking time in Southern California  My daughters husbands work was evacuated as we were stuck in the hill behind the fire in the long line of cars. Freeways were being closed left and right and it took us two hours to get home when we were already in San Marcos! At the top of the hill I could tell the sheriffs were not sure what was going on and were waiting for instructions on what to do since it was happening rather quickly. Finally the sheriff made us and the long line of cars turn around and  go down the hill. It was crazy I thought they should be stopping people at the bottom of the hill! Luckily  Megan lives on the opposite hill from the fire so we only had to worry about the Fallbrook fire after we got home.
We were just up those roads enjoying the view a week ago. It's hard to believe one week later some of those homes were burned up.
.Here is some good news thanks to prayers!
 The goods news is Megan's doing better and slowly recovering from her bad MS exasperation and her neurologist said how good she is doing from when he saw her initially in the hospital four months ago. He stated it's practically a miracle that she was not in a wheelchair permanently.Megan has a way to go but it was a great news to hear! Just two weeks ago she was using her walker all the time. Hugs Cheri
Next week rug hooking group yea!


So behind on my rug!

15 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

I am so happy to hear Megan is improving. That has to be so hard on her and on you, too. No mom ever wants to see her child ~ not matter what the age ~ hurting.
Sweet picture of Jack.
Great start to you rug.
Hugs and happy hooking :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks for the encouraging words and thoughts behind them , happy hooking hugs cheri

Nancy in MT said...

So glad to hear that Megan is doing so well and that you all are safe from the fires!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thank you Nancy one day at a time. Hugs cheri

Julia said...

Hi Cheri, what a blessing that Megan is improving. It must be so exhausting to have this disease bringing her down like that. My heart ache for all of you and now threats of wild fires to add to your worries...

I was disappointed when I lost 24 blog posts. All of a sudden it seems so trivial when compared to all your set backs with Megan's condition.

Little Jack realize that his mom can't do a lot of things and maybe that's how he comes to think that he can't do certain things. He is so adorable.

How fun that you saw those dolphins so close to shore.
Have a great week and have fun hooking that rug.
Hugs,
JB

Kim said...

By the time the three of you got to the beach my eyes were full of tears. What a great day, and what a warrior Megan is.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Julia and Kim ,hi gals thanks for all your kind thoughts it helps me so much you have no idea.
Megan is a warrior to be constantly having to have these diseases fighting you is hard. Little jack is a funny kid he makes us laugh at next week he turns three and he is going to Disneyland for his birthday. Megan needs a scooter for large areas like Disneyland but then once she is in area she'll be able to walk about. I hope she continues to get better. I am off to meet a dear friend happy day! Hugs Cheri

Farm Girl said...

I kept thinking of you and those fires. I kept checking so I was glad to see your post. I had no idea about your daughter. What a brave girl to try to go for a walk with a brace and the sand. Jack is a lovely little boy and you are a wonderful Grandma and Mom. After going through trials with my children, my heart was just breaking I hope she gets better and better. I also hope no more fires.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi farm girl , thank you for your thoughts and prayers. Life is such a roller coaster. Good health I don't take for granted anymore,I love the pictures on your blog and your insight into life. Hugs Cheri

Dog Trot Farm said...

How wonderful to read that Megan is improving and making huge strides...Little Jack is just adorable, Thomas The Tank is a mighty popular guy. Your Jack and my Travis would become fast friends...How frightening to live so close to those fires, I can not imagine. Always enjoy seeing what you are working on...Sending greetings from Maine...

Larkrise garden girl said...

Travis is a doll ! Love his blue eyes. Little jack would be climbing all over that swing set. Being a grandma is so much fun and boy does life get busier, hugs Cheri

Kurt Schindler said...


What great news re: Megan.

Living in Murrieta, CA , I could sympathize with you re: the fires . We could just see the smoke and smell the fires though. Scary stuff.

Charlotte

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Charlotte, the fires were so scary as we drove to The doctor appointment we could see several of them,I hate to think of this fire season. I live in Crest and was there during the Cedar fire, hugs cheri

Saundra said...

Wow, I am sure you were all terrified; I know I'd have been. So good to hear your daughter is improving and that grandson of yours is beautiful. Yeah, I know boys are to be called handsome but that is one good looking child.

Saundra

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, jack is a cutie he makes me laugh. The wildfires are gone for now but this fire season is going to
be long.I so admire your hooking Saundra! hugs Cheri