Thursday, November 1, 2012

Julian California and a California Native plant sale

      I know this post seems a little frivolous when you see whats going on back east but it might be a little diversion.

                                          Crestridge Ecological Reserve
                                                            mosaic lizard
         
                                             This is a Hubble inspired kiosk made of straw

Linda and I went to a California native plant sale at Crestridge Ecological Reserve. I have always wondered where it was in Crest and finally found the entrance with Linda last Friday so we went back on Saturday to the plant sale . There are 3,000 acre's of hiking trails with native bushes and native wildlife .

                                                             Native Plant sale

Everybody that goes hiking has a big stick. The people we met on Friday explained that you will see coyotes,there are mountain lions, rattlesnakes.Hummmmm. I can handle seeing a rabbit but the thought of a mountain lion munching on me or Maulie. Not so happy with that thought! Dogs have to be on leashes so we did see several people with dogs.It's a great place to explore so once it cools down Hubby Maulie and I might take a hike.

                                                                    mosaic bench   


                                                   
After the fun of buying some plants we were off to Julian which is a darling mountain town about an hour from where I live.It is filled with tourists eating apple pies and shopping at the cute shops. We had such a great day we stopped at an antique store on the way home. Linda bought some wonderful potpourri at my favorite shop in Julian. I felt like we got alot done.The best part as we drove thru the mountains we saw a group of wild turkeys! This Saturday were going to a plant talk on native plants in Alpine.



Loved this autumn wreath





Bath salts



                                                            sheep and pig knobs

                                                        Buckets of Potpourri


                                                                     Yes pigs can fly!
                                                             fall is slow in coming to Julian


                                             We went up to the Julian pioneer Cemetery
                                              up on a hill looking for old headstones.
                                 
                                     
                                              Next Saturday were going to a bunch of quilt shows!


8 comments:

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a fun day out, especially with a best gal pal. Did you purchase any plants? Here in Maine hurricane Sandy removed our Fall foliage, will the trees in your area change color? Looking forward to your trip to the quilt show. Greetings from Maine, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julie Yes I got a native tree.The trees in Julian will change beautiful colors they get snow. Crest doesn't get snow we just have a mild winter. cheri

Kim said...

A very fun day! Love the photos in the shops. Not sure about the hiking with a big stick though...:) I think I would rather face a mountain lion than a rattle snake (or even a garter snake)

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim, That shop smells so good!
Have a good weekend!

Julia said...

Thanks for sharing a day of fun with your girl friend. I can only imagine the fragrances in the shop.

Like in Maine, our trees lost most of their leaves with Sandy's strong winds.
I'm afraid that I'm not much of an adventurer and dangerous rattlesnakes and mountain lions or bears would deter me from walking the trails even if I had a big walking stick.

I hope that you have a great weekend. Stay safe.

JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thank God no bears are at Crestridge! I was thinking of you and flooding Julia. Have a good weekend, Hugs Cheri

Julia said...

Hi again Cheri.
I had a bit of water trickling in my basement in a couple of spots and nothing major.

I don't vaccinate the cow but I do vaccinate the calves when they are new born with an oral vaccine. It's quite easy to do. The vet vaccinate the big animals but it's a lot of work as they have to be restrained and all that
JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

I am so glad you didn't get flooded.Have a nice weekend Julia, Hugs Cheri