Friday, October 5, 2012

My First Sock and turning a heel finally


Well I think there should have been a moment of silence last Saturday when I turned my heel with the help of some fellow knitters finally!! I have ripped out three times the heel flap on my first sock and I had made  a partial heel but ripped that out several time.I can tell you turning a heel was a major moment.This is on my list of What I want to do before I die! Learn to knit socks.
I found out the hard way that there is some assumed knowledge in reading patterns  I guess you learn that after you knit for a while and I just couldn't understand what I was reading wrong in the sock pattern.It was me and not the knit pattern of course.I was really stuck!I guess if I had read knitting for dummies I would have understood more so here I was stuck for six months until Saturday.

Knitting a Dishcloth 

knitted cup holder

Saturday I went to a gathering of knitters at Lori's knit shop in Alpine.It was so much fun it was from five til midnight .It was a nice evening as we all sat outside in a circle knitting away. For the first time I really felt  like a knitter. As I finished the heel flap I started turning the heel which I had been stuck on since sock camp.  Athena my knit teacher who also attended said to go on to picking up the stitches on the side of the sock.I had never picked up stitches so I was the deer on the freeway and not knowing where to run and thinking maybe I should just stand there and do nothing. I felt like my one brain cell had been used up turning the heel. With some prodding I plunged ahead with the realization I was going to an uncharted land I had never gotten this far in my sock pattern.
Picking up stitches was just plain hard so the only way I could do it was using a small crotchet hook and putting it on the knitting needle. At one point I muttered under my breath I'm scared when Athena laughed and urged me on.Knitting can be intimidating. Lol. I did pick up the stitches and was able to go home with a feeling of accomplishment.I left about eleven at night and Hubby was up waiting up for me.Maulie was a cute bundle of cute Shitzu smile jumping all over me. Wednesday of this week I had  my two samples of Moss and seed stitches ready for class and Athena to check them out. I Love my knit class so much I learn something each time and I enjoy all the fellow knitters I have met. This last week we still were having hot weather. You know your a Sock knitter when your still so obsessed that you keep running to your sock book and reading the next steps over and over again. It seems making socks is like little exams on each part of a simple sock. I finish one test and then there is another test and then another.That's the challenge when your sock is completed I will have accomplished something that women have been doing for hundreds of years and guess what I will have to make another one.Oh My!

                   Last years hooked rug It needs more support for hanging up on the wall.


                                                     What I am hooking lately

                                                   update I hooked a bunch more last night

11 comments:

Julia said...

Good for you Cheri. Your determination to stick with it is paying off. Congratulations on turning the heel on your first sock. Your dish cloth looks good too.

Your new rug is coming along just fine and I love that bear.
Have a great weekend.
Hugs, JB

Kim said...

I think turning that heel is a HUGE accomplishment. I've been knitting since I was a little girl but I can NOT knit socks.

Dog Trot Farm said...

Congratulations! You did it, you perservered...you should be proud of yourself. I like the new hooking project, nice design and lovely colors. Enjoy your weekend, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Gals,It is such a journey learning a new hobby, Hugs Cheri

Saundra said...

I'm envious that you have figured out how to knit socks. I've hooked sweaters and ponchos with cable twist, fairaisle, and other decorative stitches but could never figure out how to do a pair of socks.

So nice to see your new hooking project and either I missed it or you haven't told us the story behind this design or who did it.

Saundra

Anonymous said...

I love your hooked rugs, they are very folk art looking and unique. You have a great style, and its wonderful you use your own designs, very talented!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thank You but I use alot of parts of others designs from Cheri Payne,JoAnn Mullally and others.If it's in a quilt design it can be sometimes hooked.I am trying to make my rugs more personal and story like.I use cookie cutters for designs and draw some easy parts of a rug .I drew the pumpkins.Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
Congrats on turning a heel!!! Keep on knittin' & hookin'! Your rug is sweet.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Lauren,Knitting is quite the challenge.Cheri

Delisa said...

Hi Cheri! Congratulations on your first heel turn! I had such a hard time with that too, and with closing up the toe with the Kitchener stitch. But once I did it, just once, I began to love making socks! There is also a really need website called: verypink.com that has some great links to YouTube videos that show the whole process step by step. She is a wonderful teacher. I live in the country and it is hard for me to make it in to my local yarn shop as much as I would like to, so the videos have really been invaluable for me. Have fun finishing your beautiful socks! With Love, Delisa :)

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Delisa I have gone to very pink site many times.I started another sock so I won't forget what I just learned. I have had alot of homework this week in knitting class on making cables.It actually turned out with a cable. Lol Socka are a challenge but once I have it down It will get easier each time. Hugs Cheri