Friday, September 7, 2012

Putting Life in perspective

Life is a series of examples of people who show quiet courage in small acts to us but major steps forward. If you have dealt with anyone with a disability you realize how things you take for granted are mountains for them. Yesterday at my knit class I met a woman who showed a quiet courage that gave me a kick in the behind of what's real. This young woman had a book full of beautiful knitting stitches. As I turned the pages of the book I was so impressed. They were perfect exact examples of great knitting so I wonder why she was sitting next to me a beginner knitter. As she talked in a carefully crisp enunciation of her words she explained she had a brain injury and now had to relearn how to knit. All had been lost her memory her ability to knit and so as she struggled to learn to cast on to make a slip knit and finally her knit stitches.These were not the stitches I saw in her notebook perfect and examples of a wonderful knitter.Instead they were  crooked tight bunched up stitches and you know what I saw the best knitting I have ever seen. A knitter whose life is an example of trying to keep going ahead using what God has still given you and instead of giving up walking thru those school doors sitting down and beginning again.As I saw her explain to our teacher about her injury I saw a kind teacher who was going to encourage her on her knitting journey.There was no frustration or annoyance as she repeated to us over and over how to begin to knit.We all sat helping each other yes none of us were perfect but one thing I have learned none of us knows whats going on behind our front doors. What courage were showing in our personal life what hidden sorrows we mask but know this don't take away anyones joy of creating maybe it's not perfect but you know what you might be sitting next to someone that shows a courage you may never have to use and know lucky you.Have a nice weekend and yes one of my pumpkins is going to be blue.Hugs Cheri

8 comments:

acorn hollow said...

lately I have seen many examples of curage in life. blessings to that teacher and a big hug to the woman who is trying to learn all over again.
Cathy

Kim said...

That lady's courage is inspiring. It sounds like you had a nice day.

Julia said...

What a thought provoking post Cheri. You should know first hand the struggle people go through and just keep going. Your daughter is an example and even with her struggles she took you out of your comfort zone to attend the knitting camp with her and you had so much fun together.

Sometime we have to walk in someone else' shoes to understand. Great post.

Hugs,
JB

quiltsbycheri said...

your post is an inspiration to us all....makes me look at what i whine about in a new light....

Bee Lady said...

Cheri you just reminded me of a friend we lost a few years ago. She would come out and work in the community garden, and she was in a wheelchair from a diving accident. She was close to my age, but the diving accident happened when she was 18. The summer before she passed, I had ran into her at Lowe's and we chatted for awhile, as we were in the check out line buying plants. We were both Master Gardeners. we parted ways and in the parking lot I heard her yelling my name. I went over to see what she needed. She dropped her charge card and couldn't bend down to pick it up. I quit complaining about having to bend over from that point on. I get so lazy and take such simple things as bending over for granted.

On a happier note. Those last two posts make me want to start making Halloween stuff in the worst way! I love it all!

Cindy Bee

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hey Cindy bee, I think we all need a little reminder of how lucky we are. I put fall out hoping this humidity would stop.LOL.HUgs Cheri

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a lovely post. How kind to take this lovely soul under your wing. My mother always said, "Julie no matter how hard life can become, there is always someone out in the universe who is worse off." I have always tried to be a kind, giving person. Thank you for this lovely post. Hugs, Julie

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hugs back Julie