Friday, September 21, 2012

Friday at a Meditation garden in Encinitas

My favorite Picture of a Koi

 No I haven't fallen off the side of a mountain! I haven't blogged because I was just really busy being a student again and doing my homework. Since I throw when I Knit I am slow but I am happy to say I do learn something new every time I go to my knit class.
.
 Today Linda and I were off to a day at the Beach cities of Southern California. I wanted to go to a knit shop in Encinitas called Common threads to get more cotton yarn for my dish or face cloths I am making in Knit class. I love my knit class and have been knitting like a crazy woman with a new hobby.  I also have been enjoying trips to the library and reading crazy mystery writers.My Rug Hooking is going well and I am so relieved next week the weather is suppose to cool down. This summer it's been a humid mess in Southern California.
Encinitas,Leucadia Cardiff and Solana Beach are all towns that are filled with artistic types of people . One of the prominent buildings in Encinitas is this huge building called the Self Realization Hermitage and Retreat . It's dome like buildings has a great view of the Pacific Ocean.Were talking prime property which was donated to the Yogi by one of his followers.  This huge center was  started by Yogi Paramahansa Yogananda.. I have always been curious what the place was like which has been there since I was a kid .The local hospital uses the stairs leading to the meditation garden as a great place to have some physical therapy and then relax walking around the gardens.When my daughter was in the hospital they would also have trips to the beach for physical therapy.  I heard about the garden from Megan and she felt Linda and I  would like it since we had never seen it before. The gardens were restful with benches tucked away in little corners all over the garden. Some of the  buildings are closed to the public but the meditation garden is open to all. My favorite experience was seeing the colorful Koi eating.One of the men who was sweeping the paths told us that some of the Koi are over thirty years old and boy were they huge!   We walked up the stairs along with seniors and all sorts of people who were enjoying the meditation garden.
The beach below is called Swami's where the Yogi when he was alive would sit cross legged meditating from his home overlooking the Pacific.I would have liked to have seen that the Yogi and the surfers both in their own worlds.I would definitely go back again to take pictures and maybe sit on the many benches and smell the salt air and meditate.After a morning of taking pictures Linda and I went to the knit shop and then had lunch at a local Mexican restaurant across from the ocean.Finally we stopped at the library and I picked up some books on knitting.So now your caught up and I almost forgot Hubby and I baby sat Little Jack and he was a hoot. For some reason he likes to stand on his head with his behind in the air.I think he gets that from the other side of the family.  Just teasing


                                                     paddle boarders and surfers


                                                        There are a bunch of Koi ponds





                                              
                                                               Check out the big spider
     



                                                  See the surfer on the left

                                                                   Dome in the distance


                                                              Surfers at Swami's

                                                                      nice and quiet

                                                                      munching on his food


                                           

5 comments:

Kim said...

The meditation garden sounds so wonderful. Maybe that would help me meditate. Glad you are keeping up with the knitting. It is relaxing. Show us something.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim, I am almost done with my dish cloth it should be done this weekend I had to do knits and purls bind off four inch squares.I loved watching the koi!As soon as I am done I will post it. I am also rug hooking away. I hooked a small orange pumpkin and a blue one in my current rug.Hugs Cheri

acorn hollow said...

It looks and sounds so lovely I would go there often if it was near me. a great place to go with your thoughts. Glad you are enjoying knitting I knit slippers and mittens that's it.
Cathy

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
Good to hear from you and I'm so happy you're lovin' the knitting class!
Beautiful pictures. Thank you for sharing.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy and Lauren all I want to do is knit socks. There are so my gaps in my knitting that the Knitting one class is perfect.I finished my dish cloth last night!HUgs Cheri