Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Antique quilt, Rug hooking and a squirrel

                                                              One of Bev's Quilts 

                                          It's great when you have the history
                                  of an old quilt.
                                                 

Sometimes Life is just a simple sigh of Contentment.
This morning I sat outside as Maulie watched at her favorite spot at the fence for unsuspecting walkers with their canine friends. She always makes me laugh because she just loves to dog watch. Those unexpected barks at dogs in her morning makes her day. They walk by her totally unaware she is in corner watching their unsuspecting movements ready for her bark of her day.Maulie is one nutty little Shitzu!
Our dirt road is a perfect spot to watch Life goes by whether its dogs, people or horses it’s a sigh of contentment to me. Maybe as we get older we enjoy the little things a lot more.I can keep myself occupied all day with my projects.  I can’t believe how much a new rerun of a series on T.V.(Ballykissangel) or a new author I discover makes my day.I feel like my summer days are so precious to me for some reason. I hope I am not the only person who feels like she’s a kid when it comes to simple ordinary things.


                                                 
                                                 No pics of the rabbit but I did get the squirrels

It’s finally a little cooler in San Diego County and so I was busy weeding and looked across and saw a big rabbit bounce by the park in front of me.  This unexpected jolt of  of nature bouncing in front of me is a sweet reminder of what I can’t control in my garden  Bunny tails going away from me is fine with me no threat to my garden today.

                                            One thing a novice gardener can grow is Morning Glories


 I feel like an inward sigh when I hear the birds and can see everyone in my little world going about their business. Birds chirping Morris yawning and hummingbirds darting about. I have a hummingbird feeder out in the front yard but no hummingbirds yet. For a couple of days there was a really pretty sounding bird that I had no idea where it was but wow a voice! I wonder if there is a spot on the Internet to identify bird calls?
Last week I stopped at a feed store to check out their chickens. They looked O.K. but I didn’t like that the young girl didn’t know what all the breeds they had. So I am going to check out next week another feed store for chicks.
My rug is coming along but I have had to dye some more wool to get my off white wool's darker.Well I gotta go lots to do during these lazy days of summer.Oh one last thing I was happily surprised  this week I have another follower.
I am up to 90 Wow! Hugs to all Cheri
                                                              another vintage quilt
                                                         
                                                    (Michele took these pics of the quilts)

   
                                         My old water cans 

                         update...   Still hooking Egg and I road   




                                   Making a pot of old brown
                                             Dye pot       
                                                worms
                                            oops too brown
                             Taking out my wool . Next I
                             am going to stick the wool in the 
                            water and vinegar pot to fix it.
                                


                                          Little Squirrel
                                   Are you looking at me?
                                    


                                        Morning Glory  

9 comments:

Kim said...

You make it sound so peaceful. I think I actually feel more relaxed after reading this post. (Thanks, I needed that)
Love the rug and that little tree is so darn cute.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Ordinary days are the best!
Hi Kim, Lifes challenges can get to us all and just reflecting on the good part of your days can make the day better. I started a journal where I put in Things I am thankful even if I am having a bad day its amazing what really small thing you can be thankful for in the middle of a day of Chaos,It might be the only thing is you had a good cup of Coffee or you have a friend you can complain with and understands, Hugs Cheri

Saundra said...

Nice old quilt with history, how lucky. You're coming along well on your hooked piece and I'm liking it a lot.

What are you stewing up for the brown color ? Sure doesn't look like the shape of black walnuts, are they avacado pits?

Saundra

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, I sound a little goofy but I am not sure what they are. I got those awhile ago from one of the ladies at my rug hooking group.I think they might be pecan shells I'll find out tuesday and get back to you.Cheri

woollylottrugs said...

Yes I was wondering too what you were stewing up. I thought they were avocado pits and then thought....gee she must eat a lot of avacados!!! Anxious to hear what they really are. Great quilts and love that rug!!!

Cyndi

Julia said...

Hi Cheri, sorry that I haven't been around lately. My life has become so busy lately with the haying season and everything and also my internet connection was giving me problem by cutting off all the time and even though I tried leaving comments, I only succeeded on sending the odd ones. It was so frustrating.

I could read the posts but before I finished typing my comment it was lost again. We were too busy with work to be home when the technician was available but we finally had to get him in on time to do my online banking and payroll deductions

I love that brown quilt pattern and your morning glory flowers. They are glorious flowers.

Your post sounds so mellow and peaceful and I'm running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. Ha ha.

Your Egg and I Road rug looks lovely and that brown dye looks beautiful to me. I know it's not what you wanted but I sure like it.

Congratulations on your 90th followers. It is always exciting to be validated like that.

Have a peaceful day even though the hammering and sawing is getting to you , at least he's busy chasing his dream and not women, hahaha...

Hugs. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, This summer has been a busy one.Were back to a heat wave. Your grandkids sure are cute,HUgs Cheri

Sandi said...

Hi Cheri,

I saw your question about utility quilting or big stitch on another blog.

You can use DMC perle cotton with a larger needle. I like to use 8 weight. Ecru is a good choice or some fun colours to work with your piece.

Valdani threads are another good choice but my preference is DMC.

Have fun trying it out.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
Congrats on 90 followers. I still get excited with each new one :)
I, too, was wondering what was in the dye pot. Sure gave it a great color.
Hugs :)
Lauren