Friday, June 1, 2012

My next primitive rug


Throwing out color ideas 

Today I finished transferring my pattern from a pattern from Little Quilts.I used the woman and child and stick flower but added my own thoughts to make it personal. I just liked the simplicity of this pattern and yet I have a bunch of decisions to make. I added chickens from old cookie cutters,I put eggs in the corners and added words from a place in Washington I visited and good book I read last year.
I have been looking at my rug books and trying hard to make up my mind what color for the woman and child's clothes.I usually spread out my books and rug hooking magazines and study colors that I like in other hooked rugs I think I like Old orange and blues. Next today I was gathering up my wools to find the perfect wool colors to make it look old. My stash is getting more and more depleted so it looks like I am going to have to get out my dye book .My hope is try hard to make it look like an old rug. What a lot of thought goes in before I even hook one loop. Am I the only slow rug hooker when getting started on a new rug?
               


10 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I always feel so intimidated before I start a rug that I can drag it out forever. I have several rugs waiting in the wings and one to bind...but I can't get enough time to really lay things out. Your pattern sounds interesting and I can't wait to see the progress. Have a wonderful weekend!
Courtney

Kim said...

I hope you are not like me. I over-think it until I'm paralyzed! Just close your eyes, grab a piece of wool and start hooking!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Great idea Courtney and Kim, I really like this new rug. I think it will have a sweet simplicity.

Saundra said...

I gave that very same pattern and have eyed it numerous times thinking about transferring it. Maybe you've insired me to do just that very thing. Can't wait to see how you progress.

Saundra

Rugs and Pugs said...

I, too, have a hard time starting a new rug. I am so color-challenged. You are choosing some wonderful colors!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Saundra said...

I have that very same pattern and have been comtimplating drawing it out as well. Can't wait to see yours in progress.

Saundra

acorn hollow said...

I agree sometimes we over think our project. your colors are wonderful!
Cathy

Julia said...

I agree, just have fun and you can't go wrong with the nice colors that you have here in the pictures. It will all come togethert nicely because you really have a feel for the antique look, believe me. Hugs. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Gals, It's a nice Sunday . I had a wonderful time at Jacks first birthday It was so much fun.
Today is a good day to hook a little.Hugs Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, I bet you'll make that pattern more personal too.I know you'll get done before me. Lol Cheri