Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Primitive Rug Hooker at Camp Castaway Sock Camp 2012

 Camp Castaway Sock Camp and I was finally there with  a roomful of excited knitters and fantastic teachers.   


I decided to skip around my posts because I know my blogger friends want to hear more about sock camp so I am going to get back to Day One later in the week.



What was sock camp like?

It was relaxing interesting, friendly and creative with the wide range of knitters and teachers. Most of us take classes at quilt shops and then go home. Now picture staying some where for days at a time you eat breathe knitting and bathe in the beautiful scenery of Washington and the all the Islands. No dishes no stopping in the middle of a project to make dinner.No Housework!It was a luxury having a fire in your room where all you do is flick a switch.  I loved waking up in the morning having breakfast and then taking a walk along the beach and seeing all the serene calm beach with just a couple of people.  I was in awe seeing two otters swim by and  then walk in front of  me and a fellow knitter.
This was my Sock CampVacation  with my daughter.

The first evening The Yarn Harlot Stephanie and Tina of Blue Moon fibers and their staff welcomed us with so many laughs as they made everyone feel at home so easily. Being a newbie knitter and not even one sock under my belt I quickly realized knitters love to help others. Everyone had knitted socks before but their love of knitting was infectious and made me eager to jump into the Magical Knitting world of Sock knitting. Every stage of the sock is an accomplishment. The not so simple sock has so much history behind it. I recall during Sock history class when Stephanie remarked  how when America came into the WorldWar the Canadians were in awe that our soldiers had such good socks.Men really went thru socks during war times.
 I had a simple goal I would be happy if I got to my socks heel flap . I started this sock a week before sock camp. My first sock looked lame compared to one using Blue Moon sock yarn. Their colors are like the colors of the Pacific Northwest. It was just a normal thing to knit everywhere even when we went Whale watching. All of us sock knitters sat in a beautiful room that looked out at the wharfs filled with boats and a mountain range in the distance.

Within minutes the room was loud with noise of knitters laughing and catching up.There were lots of Canadians,A lady from Connecticut, Vegas, Michigan,Oregon and The lone male Carson who was the ergonomics teacher and really quite funny.


                                                                Watching the talent show

                                     I shared in the talent show my sheep rug everyone liked it!!
                                        I took a picture in front of our fireplace in our room

The first class I went to was double knitting which was with Lucy Neatby from Nova Scotia. She was a patient teacher and marvelous knitter. Her hair was so bright and colorful. She wore long boots that were different shoe colors on each foot. Apparently Cat Bordhi and Lucy have several pairs and switch the boots so they both are wearing mismatched boots

                                            Everywhere we went you knit !
                                       Teacher Lucy Neatby from Nova Scotia
Lucy was so patient I did the swatch of double knitting but when she went on to making a pocket I gave up and was happy just practicing double knitting. That was the hardest class so once that was over I was relieved. The dye class was taught by Tina of Blue Moon Fiber.  The history of sock knitting taught by Stephanie was so interesting. The Yarn harlot was filled with knowledge about the history of socks. I tried to take pictures of all her reproductions of socks thru out history.

                                                         Stephanie the Yarn Harlot teaching sock history




                                                                     Civil War socks


                                                      This is where we ate and after eating everyone knits
                                                      The food was delicious the staff was friendly
                                                      and it was such a
                                                      relaxing fun time plus you learned something.
                                                       Classes after breakfast and then
                                                       for a couple of hours you
                                                      could hop from group to group learning all sorts of things.
 
                                                                   Look what I dyed
 
 
                 Dye tables


          The Blue Moon Yarn store would open every day to our delight


 One of our views at the Inn

7 comments:

Julia said...

Cheri, thanks so much for posting some photos of your Sock Camp. I think that rug hookers and knitters are always so helpful and patient people everywhere we go.

I'm so glad that you had a wonderful time just to have no other demands put on you other than to have fun knitting.

Take care, hugs. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hugs back Julia I am glad you liked it.Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
Looks like a wonderful time and a very beautiful place.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

Oh, I wanna go too! I really want to learn to dye yarn...and roving so I can spin it! I just love Stephanie, The Yarn Harlot. I've read all of her books and laughed my head off with each one. I'm glad you brought your beautiful sheep rug to show off! What a beautiful place and it looked like loads of fun!
Hugs,
Courtney

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Courtney, The way that Tina dyes is interesting.It was fun to see another way of dyeing.I dye with cushings and formula's that turn out primitive colors.Tina's colors were beautiful.Hugs Cheri

Saundra said...

Oh man I eyed a whole bunch of socks I'd love to own. I know how to knit but for the life of me cannot do socks.

Saundra

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, I am still doing my first socks but I am determined. I hav redone the heel flap twice. Cheri