Friday, April 27, 2012

Rughooker at Sock Camp So much fun!

What an amazing experience the last week has been.


Have you ever had a experience that you feel changes who you are or who you see yourself as? Going to sock camp was like putting on a brand new hat. I wasn’t a rug hooker this week but a newbie knitter at sock camp and yes I got to my heel flap on my sock! I love sock knitting!

I had so many amazing experiences it will takes weeks for me to get it all on paper.I got in yesterday afternoon and was greeted by one excited Maulie. Hubby was equally excited to see me! Morris could care less.

This will be a short post because I still have to download all my pictures but what I came away from Camp Castaway sock camp was sometimes we have to get out of our comfort zone and be the newbie in a class.

I am a pretty talkative person yet shy at times and I hate to get in front of people and do a speech. But there I was holding up my rug showing my sheep hooked rug and getting a round of applause. Then there was another time you had to get up to show what you made for Camp Castaway Sock camp and I was proudly showing my first knitting increases. The final crazy freeing moment was when I was at Pikes Market in Seattle having a fish thrown at me with a crowd of people yelling as I caught it!

As my daughter said Mom your like a hamster who just got off the wheel. I did and Oh it feels good! I feel like I embraced my inner hippie!!



As I sit here at the computer I have incense burning a basket of dyed yarns sitting on my wood burning stove and a greater appreciation of nature and art in all forms.

I love all the colors of the Pacific northwest there is such an artist feel of such beautiful colors the locals experience in the nature of the water and the trees and the islands! You can see why it comes out in their beautiful dyed Yarns.



So bare with me the next couple of weeks as I talk about my Adventure at Sock Camp.

And yes the Yarn Harlot is a hoot and Tina of Blue Moon Fiber is so nice and dyes the most amazing colors. Those two are like a stand up comedy team your face hurts from laughing.

I will always have these great memories of Otters swimming and walking past me. Canadian geese making honking sounds as they fly by the people of the northwest with wonderful crazy colored hair. I sit here thinking of taking the ferry to Bainbridge Island and spotting grey whales on our boat ride near Whidbey Island.

This time with my daughter was so very special .Her realizing how alike we are. The time we spent being together on an adventure which Megan and I experienced as grown up mother and daughter.

The thoughts that swirl in a moms mind at times like this is like a wash machine on a gentle cycle processing the past months of her illness and seeing how determined a young woman she was to be able to be there with her fellow knitters and being one with a love of knitting socks and knitting.

So much fun and yet such an accomplishment from where we had been months before.

 More stories to come…..

12 comments:

Kim said...

Cheri,
I was just about to email you when this new post popped up. Your trip sounds amazing and I can't wait to hear all the details. And I want to see your sock. And I really want to hear about this fish throwing incident!!
Glad you are back.
Kim

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim, I am getting use to the new blogger. I am not sure if I should switch to the google chrome any thoughts. I am going to get caught up with everyones blogs this weekend. Everything at sock camp was fun and such interesting people and teachers.Yummy food!

Kim said...

My blogger changed some about a month ago (I think) I haven't gone chrome, but I haven't had any real problems yet.
Not much help - sorry :)

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks kim. I just have to get use to it.The flowers I took a picture of were at Seattles Pikes Place Market.

Julia said...

Welcome back Cheri. I knew that you would have a great time at sock camp. Yehhh... you knitted a heel flap on your sock and got to show and tell about your beautiful rug.

When you have a bunch of knitters or fiber artist together under the same room, there's lots of positive energy that energizes everyone.

I'm so glad that this was a positive experience for you and your daughter and that you accomplished a lot.

I'm looking forward to seeing some great photos.
and that fish being thrown at you... and more stories.
Hugs, JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia,Swirling fun thoughts about all I experienced at sock camp.

Bee Lady said...

Cheri, I'm tellin' ya you would absolutely love coming to the Granny Bee stitchery group I'm in!
What? No Sage sticks burning?!?!! I had to laugh when you said you are embracing your inner hippie!
YEs, let's see that sock!
No - Don't change to google chrome. I hated it!

Cindy Bee

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a delightful event! and how special to share it with your lovely daughter. I can't wait to see your socks! Looking forward to future photos. Greetings from Maine, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Cindy bee telling me about google chrome. I got to the heel flap which to me is an accomplishment.Next will be turning the heel.Sage burning sounds good!More stories tomorrow, Hugs Cheri

Ter'e said...

Oh Cheri - what a great post!!!! Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I have ordered fish from PP Market! What a cute bunch of guys. You'll have to peek at their website! Love the flowers. I have a dear Seattle buddy that shares pics with me all the time. What a cool place.
Glad you had such a wonderful time. Can't wait to see more pics.
Hugs
Ter'e

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cherie ~
I look forward to hearing all about sock camp ~ especially the fish incident. Sound like you and your daughter had a wonderful time.
My computer made me switch to Google chrome last week. It would not let me post without the switch. I hate change but must deal with it.
Knit on, girlfriend.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi gals I took a load of pictures I spent an hour cropping last night. New pics tonight.