Saturday, March 3, 2012

A Primitive Rug hooker is going to become a castaway at Sock Camp

I can just see the headline...
Primitive Rug hooker becomes a Castaway on a Sock Camp vacation!






What have I got my self into?

This armchair traveler is going to be traveling!

Well blogger friends you know how I am always saying I am a bit of a armchair traveler. I really do love hearing people telling stories about their life experiences. Since I haven’t been on a vacation in a couple of years I love a good vacation story.  
Some of my favorite places I took vacations to in the past were
 Bird in Hand in Pennsylvania ,Intercourse Pennsylvania yes that's the name. My top bucket list experience was seeing the Amish.
Everyone needs to see The Grand Tetons just once in a life time. 
The scenery in Yellowstone what can I say the best park in the West, The Smithsonian was so interesting.I liked viewing Julia Childs kitchen.
Gettysburg  gave my arm  shivers so much history and a wonderful event in Virginia in a town called Waterford called the Waterford fair in October which I totally loved!!! I could go on but I need to

  
Well get back to my story.....
                                                                     
   Last Saturday I got a phone call from my daughter with an invite to a  sock event she has gone to in the past called Sock Camp It’s in Port Ludlow Washington and it’s about a week of knitting socks with trips to see Orcas and a stop in Seattle and Bainbridge Island on the way there. My daughter wants to give this trip to me for my birthday in April. What a gift! I'll be flying on my birthday to Seattle.

This last year has been emotionally draining and it would be nice to be able to just see this beautiful part of the world and experience something together that‘s enjoyable with Megan.She is determined to be able to go so how can I say no.
My daughter said this is on her bucket list and she wants me with her so I am flying away to a new adventure in April !(call me silly I am already homesick)
Megan loves to knit and me well I am just lame at knitting I constantly have to ask for help and well I am purl challenged. I started a sock once I never got to the heel. I looked at the classes and one is in ergonomics of knitting which I am sure I can use with rug hooking and a dyeing class which will be useful.I love nature and seeing the Orca's up close wow! The trip will be what can I say beautiful or seasick I can take my pick I am not sure which it will be. I have seen grey whales in the Ocean but I think that these are different whales in this part of the world.
One of the teachers will be Stephanie Pearl McPhee who writes the blog the Yarn Harlot and numerous books on knitting.
The theme is Pirates Camp Castaway and there are some advanced classes which will be way over my head. I wonder if I will be like a deer in headlights as I take those classes. I can only absorb what my dinosaur brain can take in. So yes I am going to Camp Castaway being a really beginner knitter and sock newbie.
I would be just as happy just reading a book and looking at the water but my daughter wants me to have the total sock camp experience The classes are about three hours and then the rest of the day is filled with activities.We get a camp shirt and it sounds much like when I have heard of quilt camps.The best part will be seeing the Pacific Northwest for the first time with Megan.

So I have a To Do list
 First  I have to learn to knit a sock before April 19th next on my list learn to purl again. Third  Knitting vocabulary knowing what other knitters are talking about is important so I am going to immerse myself in sock knitter language.Gusset,heel,slip stitch ,decreasing Oh yea! double pointed needles!Knitting in the round?hummmm . I guess there are several different ways to knit a sock.

I am sure I am leaving something out. Sock knitting to me is going to be a challenge for this rug hooker but every hooker needs another trick and  learning a new way to dye will be interesting.
I just got back from visiting my daughter this week and between everything that was going on I learned to purl again. It's not perfect but its a purl.
Oh I also have Homework! I have homework to knit something with a pirate theme
Maybe I can make an eye patch.

So if you could see me in mid April I will be the rug hooker in a knitter world sitting in a chair dazed look in her eyes knitting away in the Pacific Northwest.A confused newbie knitter dreaming of wonderful colors of wools to hook! Thinking of her favorite hook and her current rug hooking  projects to do. A Fish out of water in a new pond of fish.I can just see the pod swimming at me and this little fish as always swimming in the wrong direction and hopefully these sock knitter pirate castaways won’t make me walk the plank.
gulp.gulp.gulp.......

19 comments:

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

What fun! I'm a knitter...so when you mention socks and the yarn harlot in one sentence I get a bit wobbly! You'll have a ball. Stephanie is very funny...at least in her books and on her blog! what a lovely trip your daughter has set up! Who knows...you might turn them onto rug hooking!
Hugs,
Courtney

Larkrise garden girl said...

I'll be leaving my hooking behind. I am a bit nervous because I am way out of my league. I can knit a scarf and I am sure everybody will be nice. I think knitting is hard..
It would be nice to able to get the
hang out of knitting.That's all I will be doing so maybe I will be knitter when I get home. I hope so.Hugs Cheri

Saundra said...

You go have fun Cheri!!!! I think this is great for you two to getaway together and have fun.

AND, since I have never learned how to do socks ~ can you believe it since I've knitted sweaters???? ~ I'll have a 'go to' person to ask questions.

You will have a blast and am very happy for you.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Oh Saundra I am such a newbie I have only made scarves and half a sock.Lol I just asked Courtney some questions which way is the easiest way to knit a sock. Saundra, Wow sweaters I am impressed!!I have about six weeks to learn more about knitting before class.
Hugs Cheri

Dog Trot Farm said...

Cheri, how wonderful, I am so excited for you. I too am an arm chair traveler and as the years go by I find myself more and more content to stay in my own backyard. How wonderful to travel to the west coast, and with your lovely daughter. I am a novice at knitting, the only advice I have to offer... go with an open mind! Hugs, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Julie living in Southern California a trip to the Pacific northwest is exciting but I am going to go with an open mind and not be too hard on my self and just enjoy being with Megan.Thanks for the pep talk!!Cheri

Julia said...

Cheri, that's great. I'm really exciting that you are going with Megan. It's going to be so much fun. It's probably something like a hook in where the girls don't get much hooking done and are having so much fun. I'm sure that you can get the hang of knitting. Just try to relax as you practice your knitting. Everyone is a newbee at one time. I'm sure that everyone will be eager to help you if you need some directions.

I'll be going on a three days Maritimes Fiber Art Retreat on March 31, April 1&2 again this year. I won't get much hooking done but at least I won't be feeding calves either.

I sure hope that you will have a wonderful time with your daughter. Hugs. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

How fun Julia,I hope she will be O.K. Being a Mom I worry,HUgs Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
Sock camp??? I've never heard of it but I'm not a knitter. I've knitted scarves and nothing more. It sounds like great fun, especially since you will be sharing it with your daughter. We expect lots of blog posts about your trip.
Pug hugs ;)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

I am going to try to take lots of pictures and maybe see if I can blog about it while I am there.HUgs Cheri

Joanne said...

Way to go on getting out and going! A new adventure is always good for the soul! enjoy! Yep I Live near the lancaster area and there are crazy names - "Bird in Hand" and all them!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Joanne, I love that area! I had always wanted to see Pennsylvania and the Amish. I quilt and that was the first type of quilt I made. Yes a new adventure I have to keep telling myself. LOl Cheri

acorn hollow said...

How wonderful to have that time with your daughter. Relax and enjoy every bit of it.
Cathy

Leontien said...

Ohhh i hope you have a WONDERFUL time!!!!

Big big hugs
Leontien

Larkrise garden girl said...

Leontien, I'll take lots of pictures and hopefully I'll be able to blog a little while I am there. Leontien keep up your spirits we all Love you, Hugs Cheri

Bee Lady said...

I'm not a big traveler either, but it seems this year I will be doing it quite a bit. I know exactly how you feel. I'm going to Italy in May, and I'm homesick already! Plus I'm claustrophobic and don't like to fly! AUGH! But your trip sounds fun. I started a sock once too, and never got to the heel. I wonder if we could put them together and make a pair of 'something' with them! Maybe ankle warmers?

Cindy Bee

Larkrise garden girl said...

Italy can you say Pizza!
How fun Cindy Bee
Well I ended up taking it apart because I forgot where I was at and with the move back to Crest I lost the pattern I was using. So before I go to sock camp I have to find a new easy pattern and find some sock yarn in my stash.Hugs Cheri

Delisa said...

Hi Cheri! I'm so happy for you. You are going to love this trip. I went to Bainbridge WA. about 8 years ago and it was beautiful! So green and pretty. The Seattle area and surrounding towns have wonderful shops and lots to do. It will be a great vacation! Sock knitting is nothing to fear. It is really fun. I learned by starting simple. I went over to the wonderful website:
very pink.com

You can order her pattern online and then she has a free tutorial that takes you through the process step by step. You use larger needles and a worsted weight yarn to start off with. It teaches you all the technical names ect. It was really easy, actually more fun than a class because I could start and stop and look at things over and over again,until I got it.

Have a wonderful trip, I can't wait to hear about your adventures. Delisa :)

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Delisa,I am going to check out that site tonight! I am getting a little less nervous.I have been watching U tube videos on sock knitting like crazy!Hugs Cheri