Thursday, January 19, 2012

Time to clean up the garden in California


                                                          Gardening feeds my Soul
                                      Whenever I need to clear my thoughts I play in the dirt.


Last night I worked away on my rug hooking. I did a little bit of cutting strips a little bit of adding words in my rug. I am blending three different colors of wool to use in my background.


 This new year I am going back to some classes I had put on hold for about six months. I realize sometimes I need to be in a class to get my projects done. So next week it’s wool Crazy with JoAnn and starting in February it’s The Cheri group. That’s the evening group that works on Cheri Payne patterns plus we make a quilt for Sew for a Cure. I love working on projects it keeps my hand and heart busy.



So today I enjoyed the day in the garden. I was getting rid of plants which were not growing well and planting some other flowers for color. I had made a new border of bricks as I took out the bender board it was a messy garden. . As usual Maulie was my faithful little dog. There’s more to do but since were going to have rain this weekend hopefully some of the dirt will be washed away as we get a winter rain.

                                                Another place where Maulie watches the road
 
                                                                I need to work on my brick laying
 
                                                        My iris are are starting to bloom
 
 
                                                                           pansies
 
                                               I need to find clippers and start dead heading


                                            Maulie has a lot on her mind for such a little dog.

19 comments:

Quiltdolls said...

cheri,

I find if i am in a class i am more
likely to get the project done.
hope to see you at hobo

love kim

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

holy cow..stuff blooming already..my geraniums..had buds..but now with the snow..not sure if it killed them or not..I love your garden..and I love the whimsy to it..and your Little Maulie is just too sweet.;)

Jacqueline said...

Oh Gee just rub it in.. we are expecting 6" of snow tonight and it is currently 6 degree's.

Enjoy your sunshine and your rain.. you don't have to shovel rain. LOL

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Gals,Snow is a good thing.Shoveling Yuk, You should see our water bills in the summer.LOl. I always plant the plants that are invasive. I have mint going crazy. Kim I love Hobo I need to get to work on my Hobo quilt.CatNap I have roses blooming
I need to cut them back.Today I am off to a friends house to hook!

Kathy Phillips said...

Two of my favorite flowers - Pansies and Iris! I love looking at your beautiful pictures! It gives me something to do during slow times at work. I love the blue jars in the garden. I know what you mean about the gardening - I find it to be very theraputic, and it really gives me a sense of peace to work in the garden when I am stressed or upset about something.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kathy, Gardening is theraputic it just calms me and makes me happy to see how my garden is growing each year. It's a labor of love.Cheri

Saundra said...

Your garden is looking might nice. Your short bird bath reminds me of one I use to own when I lived in San Ramon, CA. Unfortunately when I moved back east there were things which would not fit into the big U-haul, and and that was one which was left behind at the house.

Hey, Maulie takes her job seriously. She has a whole family to care fore.

Saundra

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, I was suppose to rug hooking at a friends but she sick so I am at home and Maulie is happy for that. I have to laugh she looks so serious when she is watching to see who is walking by our dirt road. Lol

Susan McShannon-Monteith said...

Look at the beautiful flowers... the only ones around here right now are in a pot in the house.
Maulie is just contemplating where she can start digging a hole!
Have a great weekend.
Susan x

Larkrise garden girl said...

Have a great weekend too Susan,Cheri

Kim said...

I love pansies, but I am soooo far away from seeing any in person :) Unless they peek out from the snow! Maulie looks like a very good Supervisor while you work.
Have a good weekend. I'm still fighting with blogger!

Dog Trot Farm said...

Cheri, I just have to tell you how much I enjoyed your Loma Lighthouse series, how lovely the scenery. Speaking of lovely Miss Maulie appears very intent with her mission. The only flowers I will be seeing are those that I purchase from Trader Joe's. Have a good weekend, we are preparing for another snowstorm, such is life in Maine. Blessings, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julie, Were getting rain this weekend. My plants will love that. I am glad you liked my lighthouse story. I bet Maine has a bunch of beautiful lighthouses. Stay warm, I can't believe how much Maulie means to me.hugs Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
It will be a while before we see any flowers in the garden...sigh. Thankfully we only got 3-4" of snow last night instead of the 6-8" they were predicting.
Thanks for sharing with us. Maulie is just TOO DARNED CUTE!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Delisa said...

Hi Cheri! Your garden is so bright and cheery. I miss my California garden. Moving to Georgia was really a trade off in many ways. We have lovely pine trees everywhere and lots of beautiful wild plants, but it is very difficult to have a real honest to goodness flower garden with our weather, bugs, rabbits and munching deer. :) Maulie is such a sweet companion! She has such an expressive little face. Barkley follows me around from room to room as well, and curls up next to my chair with a deep sigh every time I pick up my knitting. He is very patient! Have a great day in the sun and enjoy your saturday! Delisa :)

Julia said...

Cheri, thanks for posting this bit of green and blossoms from your own gardens. Maulie looks so well.

Everything looks so nice and full of life. I love to see things grow so much that I grow houseplants just to get me through the winter. I keep poinsettia that people give me from year to year and though I never buy them I have six blooming in my house at the moment. Bring on spring. I'm so ready for it right now...
hugs. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

That is so neat Julia you have poinsettia blooming,Your a true gardener. Hugs Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Delisa, Having a garden is you against nature.Something is always eating your plants. I just have the usual I can't imagine Bambi eating my plants. It's raining today Yea!Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Lauren,Keep warm I am hooking away today. I hooked a bunch last night.Have a good weekend, Cheri