Thursday, January 5, 2012

Rug hooking a Primitive Cow

When is a Cow just a cow.........




I am not sure if I am starting to lose it or not but I rug hooked away on a cow for hours trying to get the look  just right.

I could have milked a cow quicker then I was at finding the right colors until I just looked on line at images of Cows and went back to nature the best artist .I had brought out a rug after Christmas to just  finish it. I had been trying to design a rug with a primitive look last year.That was a good idea to just put it away because now I am starting to love it all over again.I can't draw so I just use my old patterns from quilting and just mix it up til I get the look I wanted. I love simplicity and animals and folk art so I want to make rugs that reflect that .I had made the Cow an interesting color but it just wasn’t working. So I ripped out the color and laid it on the floor and just kept staring and staring at it. So here is how my little cow turned out.
So ignore all the scribbling lines because I have been redoing this rug so much  Ahhh! but I want you to see how I am progressing and how even if it's called primitive there is alot of thought in just a simple cow.  Can you see how the basket gets lost in the background time to rip again and redo .
My new name this week is rip and redo. Lol.  

14 comments:

Joanne said...

I had a problem getting a primitive cow last year - I had an order for a chairpad with a cow - saved it for the last one - and turned out to be one of my favorites! Suddenly it just clicks sometimes! Great progress!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Joanne, If I just had all the colors laid out ready to hook but getting the right combination is sometimes a bit of work,Cheri

Kim said...

I think it looks great. I drive myself crazy and end of over-thinking things when I try to get too fancy with color planning. Can't wait to see more (but you have to stop ripping and re-doing or you will never finish it) Lol

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim, I have been so obsessed on getting it right. Were having weather in the 80's this week that's crazy for a January.Cheri

Cat Nap Inn Primitives said...

well rip and redo!!! I love that little cow and the other things you are working on..can't wait to see it all finished up.)

Larkrise garden girl said...

Yes Rip and Redo tonight is going to tackle the color around the basket! Lol Cheri

Sassafras and Winterberry said...

I'm a big rip and redo girl. I can never guess the best color scheme first time out. Cool pattern...I look forward to frequent updates.
Hugs,
Courtney

Julia said...

Rip a dedo da rip a de ya, my my my what a wonderful cow.

Don't worry Rip and Redo, your rugs always turns out great so just rip away and don't worry. It will turn out just right. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Lol!!!!

Bee Lady said...

Hey can we call you R&R for short?!?!! STOP ripping and redoing - it looks good - you're acting like me!

Cindy Bee

Gayle said...

I have a Nativity rug that has been nearly finished for about five years - except for a cow and a donkey - they intimidate the heck out of me!

Larkrise garden girl said...

I just have to redo a strand of wool around the basket and then I shall be back on track. Lol Rip and Redo

Dog Trot Farm said...

Looking good. You know I never have a problem with creative design, adapting a pattern, but color planning, forget it! Yup, rip and redo, you hit the nail on the head. Looking forward to more photos of this pretty rug! Happy New Year, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks everyone for the encouraging remarks, hugs Cheri