Knitters in faraway places
Every night is a struggle to sleep my head a swirl of thoughts. Prayers for endless loved ones , Things I am going to do in the morning and just a part of getting older.New Years Eve hubby was already in bed snoring away with dayquil knocking him out . So Maulie and I were awake watching New Years Eve and hearing fireworks go off. Unfortunately a fire was started as I read in my Crest E mail last night. I didn't hear anything but a family had a sheriff waking them up on New Years Eve. They're asking for help in finding who was making all the fireworks go off near their home. Well on to my story.After the fireworks stopped I knew it was time for bed and Hubby was in a dayquil coma of snoring away loudly!So I climbed into bed and put my ipod earplugs in and I was in Scotland.
The pod cast was called
BBC Radio 4 Coast and Country on Itunes.I love to listen as people describe the Scottish towns and folks
as they go out into the countrysides.Today I listened as I did my dishes as suddenly a large seal was chasing the people in the podcast.I had to laugh!
But last night was a different story to listen to and boy there is nothing like a Scottish brogue. I used my insomnia to good use to learn something. I listened about Northern Scotland and the Gansey sweater.
I am not a knitter. Just a scarf here and there I am definitely purl challenged. The story of the Gansey and how fishermen would have these wonderful sweaters on as they worked and played. It was a part of the history of their fishing village. They would even be identified if they fell overboard as to what village a fishermen belonged to. This group of ladies in a small village in Scotland is trying not to lose this knitting history. The Moray Firth Gansey project is alive as these ladies try to encourage the history of the Gansey Heritage . I am tempted as I hear these stories on my ipod to get a map of Scotland and see where these villages are.
The Scottish brogue is a little hard to understand at time. It almost makes me want to try to get out my wooden needles and finish that scarf I was working on.
The funniest part was when this sweet little lady admitted to sheepishly knitting in bed. The other ladies laughed and it reminded me so much why I Rug Hook. The fellowship of women as they explore their craft and keep it alive for the next generation.The Gansey sweater ladies are so very much like my friends in their wonderful Scotland and my friends laughing talking and sharing ideas thru out this world whether its face to face or over a computer screen. Aren't we all so Lucky to love to work with our hands.
© Cheri Larson and www.backtolarkrise.blogspot.com and Larkrise garden girl 2009-present and future posts. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog's author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Cheri Larson (larkrise garden girl) www.backtolarkrise.blogspot.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
- Larkrise garden girl
- As you can tell I love the PBS mini series Larkrise to Candleford. Love love Love the show!. Let me list my favorite things to do Gardening, quilting, rug hooking,reading and being a mom grandma and wife. I enjoy playing with my crazy shitzu Maulie who constantly makes me laugh. I have a wonderful creative daughter and a kind son in law and a sweet little grandson Jack. My husband is always woodworking in the garage which I love or playing with his trains. My crazy cat Morris is another member of our family who is the most laid back Orange tabby cat. I believe There is nothing better then working with your hands and finishing projects!!
- ► 2016 (28)
- ► 2015 (20)
- ► 2014 (29)
- ► 2013 (43)
- Baby Jack's quilt
- Pray for Moo Cow primitive rug
- Time to clean up the garden in California
- Hit and miss of the Point Loma Lighthouse in San D...
- Rughooker visits Cabrillo National Monument and th...
- Rug Hooking Tuesday at Country Loft
- More Point Loma Tide pool pictures Part two
- Point Loma Tide pools in San Diego California
- Playing around with my new camera
- Rug hooking a Primitive Cow
- Gansey Sweaters in the Night
- ▼ January (11)
- ► 2011 (165)
Powered by Blogger.