Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Do you still have your first rug you hooked?

Rug hooking Tuesday at the Country Loft


                                                Michele shared her second rug that she hooked
                                                 for the Renee Plains book.

One by one we all gather in our respective seats every two weeks to sit and share our hooking and what is our latest project were working on.Today as usual country loft was abuzz with our hooker group. One of the ladies suggested we bring in our first rug hooking that we ever did.So here is a short viewing of the ladies rugs.  I could not retrieve my rug since it was buried in one of the plastic boxes in the garage labeled Christmas. Lucky me! I couldn’t believe how well these hooking were compared to what I recalled of mine. So between talking to Donna about Atha biennial which she had a wonderful time and catching up on all the other ladies I didn’t get much hooking done. One good thing my turkey rug is ready for the binding Thank goodness!


 A pig first rug

 A first traditional rug done

 A first primitive rug

Magdalena Briner Eby book
I was so busy last week with Christmas projects I didn‘t blog much. I do best when it’s crunch time so it‘s crunch time now. I have to get a lot done before Christmas. That baby stocking is really hard to make since there are all these little beads and stuff. It’s a challenge one bead at a time! I can’t believe my mother in law made all the other stockings for us being blind in one eye. How amazing !
Jan was busy looking at the new Book that Donna brought back from Atha biennial . What an interesting book. I need to order one soon.
 We had some wonderful rainy weather in southern California so I was able to have my wood burning stove going finally! It was hooking weather. This weekend it’s suppose to rain again.I am so thankful since I need to keep focused on my projects if I want to get them all done by Christmas.

A first rug

Oh baby Jack has some cute pics on Megans blog. Baby's just make you smile
http://joyfulsillyfantastic.blogspot.com/2011/11/our-first-trip-to-bates-nut-farm.html

14 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Some first rugs are incredible!!! My little mat is hideous but I still have it displayed to remind me how far I've come...lol!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Lauren, I had to go back and check my spelling of biennial. LOl
I accidently posted before I was done writing my post. ahh.
My first rug was horrible too. I was just glad I got my hook in the hole.Lol I need to catch up tonight on everyone's blog.Hugs Cheri. I had to laugh Donna told me about meeting you and how nice you were and how shocked she was you knew my name. I told her Hooker bloggers are so nice!

Dog Trot Farm said...

What lovely rugs, my preference is primitive, but I so admire traditional. I have yet to attend a hook-in, but I would love to do so. We here in Maine have been enjoying a bit of indian summer, however, tomorrow the rain comes in. Looking forward to seeing baby Jack's Christmas stocking, blessings from Maine, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julie, Our group is primitive but when some in our group started hooking they first tried traditional.I too am looking forward to the rain . I love your blog and Maine looks so beautiful!Hugs Cheri

Kim said...

I just found my first rug a few weeks ago (buried in the back of the closet). I never did bind it. I guess because I didn't know how yet and just wanted to hook another rug. I should post it (it's ugly). Lol

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim, I think that when you see how far you've come you start to realize wow this is alot harder then people realize.Congrats on being an Aunt Love the name for the baby. Post the pic of your rug hooking and then post one of your newer rugs for inspiration for other hookers,Hugs Cheri

acorn hollow said...

I did a 12x24 rug for my first rug. I hooked so tight I think there is a thousand pounds of wool in it. It is amazing I didn't break the backing. Love all the first rugs. I too display mine to remind me
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy,Mine was a flower I think.The second was a snowman. I don't think I even bound it. Lol I still have a lot to learn but that's what fun about hooking.Hugs Cheri

Courtney said...

My first rug was a penny rug kit. It came out pretty well and I made it into a pillow. My second rug was another kit of a Santa...only my husband thinks it looks more like a rabbi. He makes fun of it every year...it's become a tradition! Hee, hee!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Oh Courtney, That's funny a rabbi!Cheri

Julia said...

I kind of had forgotten my first little mat. I always labeled it a sample because it was my learning kit that went with 4 lessons for $140.00 which I couldn't afford, but since I had survived chemo it was important to do the things that I had wanted to do but had put off.
It was just a little house and a flower and I never did bind the little mat. My first real rug was my Holstein in the Grass and was just too eager to hook my own usable rug. My toes caresses it every morning when I get out of bed and at night when I hop in bed.

Baby Jack is so cute in his giraffe costume. It's unbelievable how fast he's growing.

Although I love the primitive look, my house is more like a mixture of old and new so I tend to hook traditional rugs. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Traditional rugs seem so detailed. I am impressed by the work that goes into them. I love your rugs Julia,I didn't know you had chemo. That's such a hard treatment.That baby is growing like a little bean stock.I love looking at little babies their all so cute. I bet your busy with all those calves.Hugs Cheri

Leontien said...

Well that last rug is a pretty amazing first one! Wow.

I still have to smile when you say hooker group.... sorry can't help it!

Big hugs
Leontien

Larkrise garden girl said...

Big Hugs Leontien,I have been thinking about you alot this week and how your doing. Double hugs Cheri