Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Hobo's Quilts and Paper Piecing Boy I used my brain tonight!


 Donna's Hobo Quilt block examples
 Wednesday Hobo Quilt class what a nice time!





 Working away with good friends these 
two ladies were having fun. 

 Country Loft   
 I have been a hermit again working on the grandbaby’s stocking and trying to stay out of the heat. It is down right oppressive!. So tonight as I gathered my quilt supplies it seem to take forever. Finally I was off to class. There was an assortment of different blocks to pick to quilt tonight so I thought I would challenge myself and do some paper piecing. Boy talk about being in a different world. It was challenging for me between putting fabric on one side sewing on paper and flipping the fabric back and forth and all the steps I was having to concentrate the whole evening. But I am happy to say I am starting to understand what I am doing.One thing I noticed that when you haven't quilted in a while I had to get use to my rulers again and of course my rotary cutter was dull. I needed a bigger table mat for cutting. Oh and for some reason I have a hard time not spreading my supplies all over the place. Besides that I was organized. Lol!

My fellow classmate was doing a great job!

  Donna was a patient teacher with us all and the handouts explained a lot where the book didn’t. I am on the second block of paper piecing. I would have finished the second block but I ran out of time. ! The hobo quilt has appliqué blocks paper piecing and just piecing .
Donna's blocks

 Donna made us Hobo stew it was great! and so between cutting, sewing and working away the evening went super fast. Apparently there are stories in the book about Hobo’s so we listened and sewed away. I am glad I got out of the house tonight and you can see by the pictures we were all busy!
                                                     This is my one block I paper pieced!
                                            I still have to square it up.           .
                                  After looking at this block this morning from
                                  my hubby's eye this is sad. I told him I spent
                                  two hours doing this. Lol!

6 comments:

Julia said...

Cheri, I can imagine the fun you had at the same time getting used to working with paper piecing would have me scratching my head. I've seen some ladies sewing perfect points on quilt blocks at the Fiber Art Retreat and was amazed at the precision of their work. I would need someone right there to show me how to do it.

Keep at it and show us the finished project when done.

JB

Dog Trot Farm said...

What a wonderful shop. So many talented ladies, I could tell there was some heavy duty brain power going on! Hope your weather has cooled off a bit for you, it is cool and rainy today here in Maine. Sending greetings, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Well, Maybe to quilters that do paper piecing all the time it's easy but I took forever to get that one block done. Lol
Rug hooking is much more relaxing but it's always good to learn something new.Hubby saw my block and I think he scratched his head.Lol

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cherie ~
I'm not a quilter, but I love the simplicity of the hobo quilt blocks.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Lauren,I had a good time and I loved how patient my teacher was with all the different levels of quilters. Most people had some knowledge of paper piecing. I didn't but I can only get better!

...Miss...Maddie's... said...

Love the colour palette in the sample blocks.
What a heavenly little shop.
Have a great weekend Cherie...
Susan x