Monday, September 19, 2011

A brush fire

Crest is up on a hill on one side is busy El Cajon the other side is Harbison Canyon and the community of Alpine. When we have wildfires it comes up the sides of the hills and these communities are effected like us. Well today I noticed a haze and smelled smoke. I looked to the sky and saw a small fire plane circling so I knew there must be a fire on Harbison Canyon or Alpine side of Crest. So I ran to the computer looked at  the news and saw there is a fire about four and a half miles away in Harbison canyon. That sounds like a long distance but fires go up the sides of the rocky hills and they don’t follow a curvy road. Here’s what was going on the other side of Crest at the bottom of our hills. They evacuated two schools in Alpine.



You can tell we take brush fires seriously.

                                              I could see the plane but I couldn't see the fire.
 
 
                           I have seen these helicopters land in front of my house
                            in the Crest school parking lot
                           during a fire in Crest.White smoke is good to see.
                        
                           These pictures were sent in by Alpine Citizens.

  This is what was needed to stop the fire……15 engines. 6 hand crews, 2 air tankers, 1 air attack, 2 helicopters, 4 chief office.alpine firedept, lakeside, cal fire, sd county fire authority, sycuan, heartland fire and rescue, san miguel all have equipment on the fire.

8 comments:

Rugs and Pugs said...

Oh, Cheri ~
Prayers being said that the fires will not affect you!!!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Lauren it's already out but I was worried this afternoon a little.Cheri

Julia said...

Cheri, I'm glad that your home is safe and lets hope that there will be no more fires. Keep us updated. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, The fire was under control within the afternoon.They throw alot of men and equipment at brush fires because if they don't they spread quickly. I couldn't see the fire just smell the smoke and see the haze. Cheri

Kim said...

That is scary. Glad it is out and you are safe.

Nancy in MT said...

Cheri, so glad they were able to put the fire out so quickly and you are safe.
Nancy in MT

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Nancy I am glad it didn't spread up our hill.You being in Montana I am sure forest fires are your concern.I have been working on my hobo quilt squares this week. Cheri

Dog Trot Farm said...

This is something we do not experience here in Maine, how very frightening. I am happy to read the fire is out and you are safe, how does one plan and or prepare for this? Hope you are enjoying this beautiful day, greetings from Maine, Julie.