Friday, September 9, 2011

And the lights went out in Southern California and that would be me

Thursday I was having a nice day working on my Quilt watching Ellen when my whole house made a weird noise and all electricity went down. I thought maybe the air conditioner got overloaded since it’s been so hot! I went outside checked the fuse box No red showing on the switches. I looked at my neighbors homes and thought I wonder if they’re affected? It was so odd the sound it made as it went down. I kept thinking this is strange when Hubby came through the door with a sandwich. He told he got the last sandwich at a sandwich shop. Jack seemed kind of satisfied with his sandwich in a odd guy way. It seems the man behind him spent five minutes deciding what kind he wanted and went to pay with a debit card and the electricity had shut off. Jack’s moral of the story is don’t take a lot of time being fussy or maybe you won’t get to eat!


In California you have to understand when we have rain it’s a big deal the news goes crazy! Earthquakes were used to sort of .Well you can imagine we were blacked out in all of San Diego County parts of Orange County and even Mexico and Arizona over five million people! This was a historic day all because one man made a mistake in Arizona at work. San Onofre nuclear plant shut down to protect itself that was scary. Megan was feeding me info from her computer and the first thoughts it was a terrorist attack. Because of Sept 11 this time of year it’s a worry in America. I didn’t think it was that. My daughter fed us more information from Riverside county which was not affected til my phone went dead!

Well thank God for a little radio we found I listened to all the people calling in, the news conferences and where there was mandatory boiling of water in certain cities and felt very safe in Crest. All schools are closed in San Diego county. One thing about Californians is some people don’t realize at a signal light if the lights are out a blinking red light means it’s a four way stop. Really? It was carmaggedden on the freeways with millions going home. The gas stations had no electricity so of you were low in gas it was scary. The trolleys stopped suddenly and you had to walk home. People were trapped in elevators. Our emergency system kicked in and all police and firefighters were at work.

Because we had the wildfires in 2003 we had candles kerosene lanterns flashlights. I could hear neighbors getting their generators going. So Hubby and I sat out side saw the beautiful sky and watched satellites orbit by. Maulie barked at who ever was walking by in the dirt road and Morris lay at our feet. We had sandwiches for dinner . I jumped up to get a drink and Maulie ate the rest of my sandwich. Lol.

As the reports from  people came in most San Diego County people once they got home were enjoying the evening. I really was proud of this man on the radio and how he was a voice on what was going on . I was proud of our county. This is what our country did  decades ago  listen to radio's to get information not a bad idea.This was suppose to last a couple days but I am happy to say my lights came on in the middle of the night. I lay in bed using my ipod by then hearing people calling in when they got lights.It was fun and finally I dozed off.So this morning I made  some coffee and  started a new day. The moral of the story is when you get lemons make lemonade oh and it’s always nice to have a full tummy.

10 comments:

Kim said...

It sounds like you made the best of the situation. It always amazes me, the traffic confusion when the lights go out. People know how to use a 4 way stop but when it's a light, people go dumb.

Larkrise garden girl said...

You wonder how they got their license.I am so thankful to have electriciy just to make a cup of coffee.Have a nice weekend. Cheri

Linda, NE Iowa said...

I love your first-hand report of your experiences without electricity. I read a great book (One Second After)of how we were thrown back into the 18th Century when an EMP bomb(s) exploded above America. Congratulations on being so well prepared.

Larkrise garden girl said...

The only reason we were half way prepared is because when Crest had wildfires in 2003 we had no water and no electricty and 200 burned up neighbors home. So this was nothing just a little inconvenient.Then we were evacuated for three days and had to wait to see if we had a home. Your book sounds interesting.Cheri

Courtney said...

I just saw this on the news tonight! I love hearing your version of it! I can't wait to buy a generator! That last power outage cured me, but good!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Courtney, I think a generator is on my wish list. That and a better radio. I had no phone so I just got off the phone from my cousin. Jax the wonder and my cousin were in the traffic mess that wasn't moving. Marlene told they got off the freeway and sat at a outdoor cafe and made friends til most of the traffic was cleared out. Three hours!Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
You've got such a great attitude! I'm glad the outage didn't last as long as predicted. How scary the 2003 wildfires had to be not knowing if you had a home to come back to.
Hugs :)
Laure

Julia said...

Cheri, It is commendable that you didn't panic under the circumstances. We do live in a fragile world. Being stuck in traffic would be a nightmare for parents of young children.

I know that we depend of all that technology and commodities to live our every day life but when we had no power for 8 days in the bad flood of 2009, my husband and I enjoyed the quiet in the house. We were more relaxed and less rushed. In fact we ate more gourmet meals cooked on the Coleman's Stove, drank some homemade wine and even had one of the coordinator emergency rescue personnel for dinner when he visited our marooned home. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Julia, I am with you. Sometimes we make do . You can never explain to someone how hard a flood or wildfire or any disaster is.The aftermath is even harder when everybody has quit hearing about it. and The hours without electricity were inconvenient but no one was losing their homes or life.Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Lauren, The 2003 fire was terrible and scary this was just a little confusing trying to find out what was going on. Cheri