Monday, August 8, 2011

The results are in for my cochineal dyeing

This is what I started with 
Cochineal dyeing


The dyeing process went smoothly. I used a coffee filter at first to keep the bugs out of the wool. Later I switched and put the cochineal in an old sifter so all the bug bodies didn’t go all over the wool.

You clearly need more bug bodies to get a deeper color but for what I collected I was satisfied! I simmered it for about 20 minutes and then stuck the bucket outside to hopefully absorb more dye.To get a more scarlet color you use a Tin mordant. 
                                                               My results
                     

15 comments:

acorn hollow said...

holy crushed bugs! that is very pretty. are you going for the darker color?
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy , I just don't have enough bugs. They are so small and so if I had more it would be darker.I collected as much as the cactus had.Cheri

Dog Trot Farm said...

Who knew what wonders this insect held, I'm certainly impressed with the results. Hope the cooler weather is finding it's way to you. From sunny Maine, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julie, Maine sounds wonderful! It's in the 80's which isn't too bad. Cheri

Courtney said...

What an awesome result! And all from smushed bugs! I was trying to explain to a friend yesterday the joy of dyeing wool...how it's always a surprise every time.

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Hello Cheri,

Just discovered your lovely blog. Loved the bug hunting adventure. Your DH is a sweetie. VBG

I did some dying with blueberries a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the process.

I am on Season 3 of Larkrise to Candleford. I absolutely love this series too. LOVE IT!! I had no idea it was being shown on PBS. I will have to look and see if it is being played in our area.

Hugs Judy

CJ Stitching and Blooms said...

Hello Cheri,

I forgot to tell you I think the color turned out perfect. My favorite color. VBG I also love working with wools. Hugs Judy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Judy, Larkrise to Candleford series ended a couple weeks ago. I had never loved a show that gave you a history lesson and a glimpse at some sweet characters.I actually cried at the ending.It reminded me when you read a book as a child and the book came alive . I am glad you liked my adventure with dyeing.Hugs Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Courtney, Yes smashed bugs made this pretty color I stuck some raw wool in to use up the rest of the dye.If i found some more cochineal I would like to try it with a different mordant to get the scarlet color. Cheri

Farm Girl said...

I love that color too. I was looking forward to seeing how it turned out. Have you found something that grows close to you for blue?

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Farm girl, The only natural blue I know is indigo and I don't have any of that. I usually dye with cushing dyes. I have a great book that has lots of formula's for primitive colors. I use to natural dye years ago alot but when I need a specific color for a rug I need to get the color close and chemical dyeing formula's do that.
Cheri

Joanne said...

Oh wow first time of I heard of bugs being used for dye - so interesting - Love reading and seeing your results! Cool color!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
Very cool! Thanks for sharing.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Leontien said...

oh that is just a lovely color! And i never knew bugs could do that!!! haha

Leontien

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks to everyone for such nice comments. I do so enjoy hearing what you all think. Hugs Cheri