Sunday, August 21, 2011

Moving a Lathe oh and a hooked Chicken!








Birdhouse pole
 Antiques are so wonderful but the beauty of wooden antiques from the early times can be duplicated with this wonderful machine. A couple years ago my girlfriends and I went to this studio up in the mountains where this man had wooden spoons he sold . They were beautiful works of art.  This mountain man had a great shop full of sawdust and machinery it was so interesting. But the best thing was he had a lathe a machine that turns wood . This thing is a monster made for a high school woodshop class but still functional. Lathes make bowls, turn spindles for legs, make bobbins for bobbin lace.   Lathes  make a simple long piece of wood into a great wooden pole for birdhouses.
Can you tell I love what this lathe and hubby create. Hubby lathes pens and sometimes I have to go out to the garage and get him to come in. Even my daughter lathes pens with her Dad.


That is an interesting thing that moved that super
heavy lathe. 

 Look at my poor Maulie!!!
 As much as I love working with my hands Hubby likes working with wood. So it was a no brainier that hubby bought this old lathe. Well I have learned to appreciate wood and appreciate the thought that goes into a piece of wood you want to turn. When you see those old bowls in antique stores you realize how big a piece of wood is needed to turn that wood into a bowl. It’s amazing! So this weekend was the final push to get everything  to our old house in Crest. Jacks big lathe was being moved.Last time he had three men helping him.He was doing it himself this time.I wonder why I am getting some gray! My typical husband never never asks for help. So when He was at the part where he was moving it off the truck I was somewhere else. Little did I know My Maulie was helping with the move.

Well it's in the garage. We have been using the garage as a storing place while we decide what to do with everything but Hubby needs the garage ready for wood working again. So I think were going to either have a garage sale or go to the swap meet in a couple weeks.
                                   Chicken hooked rug                         

                             Old garage and a old lathe priceless.

12 comments:

acorn hollow said...

my husband has lathe also and makes all kinds of wonderful things for us. Like you I try to go out of the area when he is doing something that should take three people on his own I am completely gray but loving care takes it away. love your chicken rug.
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy, I thought I was not only one out there with a hubby that likes woodworking.I am glad you liked my chicken. Cheri

Courtney said...

You are lucky to have a husband with such a great hobby. That is some piece of equipment! I love your chicken rug...its very cool.
Have a great week!

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
I think I hit enter instead of post and lost my first comment. GGGRRRR! I hate when I do that.
Anywho...as I was saying...what a great piece of machinery. Please share some of hubby's creations with us.
The rug came out great.
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Leontien said...

I had no idea what a Lathe was!!!

Guess i learned something today!

Thanks!
Leontien

Kim said...

That is a huge piece of equipment. I never realized they were so large. But they do produce such beautiful things. It is a great hobby.
I just love your strutting chicken. She has attitude!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Gals,I think it's a wonderful machine.I couldn't believe my Maulie was so close to all the moving. Maulie will refuse to listen to me when Jack is home . He starts for the garage and off she goes. That is a chicken rug with an attitude for sure.Cheri

Saundra said...

Cathy ~ Luv your chicken rug and the colors you chose.

Julia said...

Hi Cheri, that is some big piece of equipment.

My husband has a metal lathe that he uses a lot to make metal parts for broken parts on the equipments for our farm.

Your chicken rug is very cute. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, I like my chicken.I'll have to ask Jack about metal lathes. It's amazing how fast a lathe turns when it's going.Cheri

Dog Trot Farm said...

Yes sireee I am quite familiar with tools and I know this is one piece of equipment my hubby would love to call his own! Love the fun chicken rug. Sending blessings from Maine, Julie.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Blessings back from California, Cheri