Saturday, August 27, 2011

African American Quilt exhibit at the Mingei in San Diego

       To all my blogger friends who might be near Hurricane Irene here is a Quilt show for you...


San Diego Art Museum last time I went to this museum
it was for the Grandma Moses exhibit.




 Mingei Museum is on the left



The Mingei

 My trip to the Mingei International museum was a great idea for a hot day. Linda and I went to this interesting exhibit which featured African American Quilts from the south. Because I couldn’t use a flash the quilts don’t show up as pretty as they are in real life. Balboa Park in San Diego is a destination for a variety of Museums.  San Diego Zoo is also near Balboa park which is a fantastic Zoo to visit . When I was a child you could go to the zoo for free. I can remember many a Sunday with my four brothers playing at the Zoo all day!  Linda and I walked around Balboa park enjoyed the sites shared a turkey sandwich and had a relaxing day.




 Blue Jeans were used in this quilt





 Some of the African American Quilts seemed heavy hanging up on display. Looking at the free spirit of the quilts makes me realize how well these folk art quilts can last. . Quilters used what they had and created pieces of Art. The docents were friendly and eager to answer questions.
There was even a quilt made by a quilter who made quilts for the Color Purple.


    

10 comments:

Nancy in MT said...

Cheri,
Wonderful quilt show, I admire these works of art and the talented women who made them. Hope the ladies that made them know what an inspiration their quilts are to so many.
Nancy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Nancy, It was really interesting!Every time I go to a Quilt show I come away inspired and full of ideas and ready to quilt.Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Thanks for sharing! Looks like a fun day spent with a friend.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Courtney said...

They are just beautiful. Thanks for sharing these!
Hugs!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Courtney, I hope the Hurricane is not near you!Cheri

chasing lightning bugs said...

these are fantastic. thanks for sharing the photos. scrap quilts have taken over my quilt making business lately, i just love the process and the result. and i couldn't love the african american southern quilts more.

Larkrise garden girl said...

I am glad you enjoyed the Quilt show. It gave me all sorts of ideas!Cheri

Dog Trot Farm said...

What wonderful quilts, so bold and beautiful. Quilting is one craft I find intimidating, I certainly appreciate all the hard work and workmanship that goes into them. Thank you for sharing. From stormy Maine, Julie.

Saundra said...

Oh my ~ Beautiful pieces. You can be sure to have another friend added after I send this blog to a friend of mine.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Saundra, I have been getting a couple new followers slowly. How's Bella?

Hi Julie Poor Maine is getting hit now . It's like a tale of news and Irene as each state gets hit by the storm.Stay dry,Cheri