Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A dot and a Space Station

I looked up in the sky and saw a International  Space Station go by.


Monday evening I had heard on the news that the International Space Station was going to orbit over California. At 845 if you looked in the north west you could see it traveling through the sky. I had seen the Halley's comet years and years ago when my daughter was a little girl. Back then our family had driven up to the mountains to be sure we  would see this once in a lifetime event.   We weren't the only ones.I recall the little kids and parents excitedly looking up with telescopes large and small .  To view the Halley's comet you didn't even need a telescope back then.    

So if I would head to the mountains for a comet it was a cinch to step out my door and look up. I stood on my deck and leaned my head back as far as I could that’s when I saw a bat to the side of my deck flying by. I didn’t grab my neck but I thought about it. Isn’t that a funny primal feeling about bats and wanting to grab your neck but maybe that’s just me.. I heard a small owl screech in my back yard as I waited .Note to self I have an owl in my yard. I kept surveying the sky and finally there it was! This small little dot traveling through space was above me . It was going fast I found out later it was going over 17,500 miles an hour.

I called Hubby we watched together.

I wondered to myself why haven’t I been looking to the sky’s more. I had forgotten this wonderful place that is up above my head. Summer is here and I have made a promise to myself that I am going to look up in the sky more, enjoy the stars and watch those little dots. The world is awake in the evening and I have been missing all this. As hubby and I went back into our little cabin. Yes our house was originally a cabin. Hubby pointed to the trees in the front yard and said there goes an owl. I saw this large silhouette fly by Wow! He opened the door and we walked back into our Home with a smile.

12 comments:

Julia said...

Hi Cheri, I love watching the stars on a starry night and my husband and I used to sit out on the deck and take the canopy off the swing so we could see the sky and I remember seeing some satellites racing through the sky and lots of airplanes as we are right under airplane traffic routes. We even watch meteorite showers in August. Now those are fun to watch.

The sky is an amazing place. My grandkids have a huge telescope that my youngest daughter bought for them. They use it at the lake where there are no bright city lights. JB

acorn hollow said...

I love the night sky and the day sky. When my daughter was young and we were having a solar eclipse they were keeping them in the school with the shades drawn to keep them from looking at the sun. I purchased special glasses and we made a paper cut out that when the sun shone through it you could see the ecllipse happening on the white sheet below. We sat on that lawn and talked and talked anw watched the solar eclipse with out special glasses such special memories and we always layed in the snow in the winter looking for the big dipper.
cathy
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Awwwww! Hi Cathy that is a wonderful memory! I remember when My Megan was little getting a big blanket laying on the grass (we had grass at one time ) and looking up at the stars.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, I had forgotten about the sky being so pretty. In La Mesa there were too many lights. Now back in Crest there are less lights and were on a hill. I had truly forgotten how pretty the sky can be. I can just see your grandkids enjoying the sky. Hugs Cheri

Leontien said...

Oh yeah your post really reminded me of my little sister! She loves to watch skies! night skies and daytime skies!

thank you for bringing back good memories and i;m glad you had a good time!
Leontien

Larkrise garden girl said...

Your welcome for the happy memories.

Courtney said...

I love stargazing. Right now, we are happily able to sit out at dusk and enjoy the evening and the interesting things it brings. Our first real night here there were fireflies...lots of them. I was thrilled. I'd love to spot an owl. I just love them.
Courtney

Larkrise garden girl said...

I have never seen a firefly . I don't think we have them in California. You painted a pretty picture Courtney.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
How funny to hear that you've never seen a firefly! Here in Ohio we call them lightening bugs. I guess I didn't realize they are not all over, but I'm sure you get to see things that we don't have here.
Here's hoping you get to see the owl again!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Lauren, The closest thing to a lightening bug is at Disneyland Pirates of the Caribbean ride fake lightening bugs are flickering during the ride. Lol

Dog Trot Farm said...

Cheri, your post brought back such wonderful memories. When my two sons were young we would place an old quilt on the front lawn and gaze for hours into the summer night sky scanning for falling stars, but secretly hoping for a UFO'S! And yes we have caught the space station orbiting over us too!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Awwwww I love everyones memories of looking at the sky. My parents saw a ufo dot at lake Tahoe on a family vacation.They saw a dot that moved up and down and zipped all over the place.My dad and mom said it couldn't have been a plane because of the way it moved. Weird. I wish I had seen it.