Monday, June 27, 2011

Unwelcome neighbors running down my dirt road.

I noticed them the other day as I backed out of my driveway. One just sat up next to the school fence with a sweet look I thought until I saw my neighbors lawn.I had seen one a couple of months ago but now there were three. I tried not to panic until my hubby laughed he saw two of them in the driveway. All I could think is stay away!

Their getting closer!!! A gardeners new adversary. Yes their kind of cute but they can eat everything.    Squirrels! I had never seen squirrels on top of Crest . I had heard about them in other areas of Crest on the side of the mountain but these little critters are here and are now coming to my garden. It’s only a matter of time when I will be at war. Morris is great at Gophers but Morris is getting older and frankly he is having some mental issues. O.k. I admit it Morris is a little odd that last time I saw him hanging by one paw confirmed my opinion Morris is not making good choices lately. So I sit here knowing that as I happily open my screen door in the morning. Coffee in hand ready to water there might be a couple of strangers munching on my hard work.Hubby says their cute and I tried to tell him don’t let their looks fool you .

9 comments:

Leontien said...

haha i think squirrels are cute... and my mom and dad have BUNCHES of them and they seem to leave the garden alone...

thanks for sharing!
Leontien

Linda, NE Iowa said...

I knew a gal who called them overgrown rats. She hated them!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Overgrown rats! Yuk Lol,

Julia said...

Hi Cheri, we have loads of squirrels and they usually leave my gardens alone as I feed them along with all the birds. They eat lots of sunflowers and peanuts from Fall to about mid June and so far have not touched my bulbs or gardens. I'd rather not have them around but when you can't fight them you have to join them. Lol.. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks for the great info Julia. I have never dealt with these in my garden. I don't have a lawn I have a front yard garden . My neighbor has a lawn and there are some holes in his lawn.

Seven Gates Farm said...

I saw one run off with my Cherokee purple tomato. I didn't know they liked tomatoes. Now I keep one of the Jack Russells out. Their Mission: Get the Squirrel! Debi

Larkrise garden girl said...

A purple tomatoe. I have one tomatoe plant and I need to water it more. My cousin loves her Jack Russell as much as I love my shitzu Maulie.

Terra said...

A handsome black squirrel uses my container plants to dig in and he plants peanuts in the shell in the pots, which damages my plants! I wrote about this on my blog. So look out for squirrels that dig.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Terra , I need to check out your blog and read about the squirrels.