Thursday, June 30, 2011

American Chickens

Today as I was taking my Wool Crazy class with author JoAnn Mullaly I made a point to take pictures of Polly Minick Rugs which are displayed on the Country Loft walls.



The Country Loft in La Mesa has a Polly Minick trunk show going on. It’s been beyond  wonderful looking at the original rug I have always wanted to hook. The book that features her lovely rugs is The American collection Hooked Rugs. I love the book and have wondered how hard it would be to hook the chickens with the American flag . It looks like a big undertaking but anyone who knows me knows I love chickens.


                                                                     

 My idea is hooking it in a little more primitive colors so it will definitely look different then Polly's chickens.


 Basket of flowers

It will take me years to complete but that will be a rug that I truly will be proud to accomplish. I had the pattern magnified so this weekend I am going to get my red dot and start to copy the pattern. The interesting thing about a big rug is all the planning for the colors .First thing I am doing is start collecting and dyeing my stash of colors. That should take a while.

I still will work on smaller rug projects but the chicken rug will be my big long drawn out project. I am in no hurry so it will be one of my many projects. My plan is to dye the background first. Right now my wools are soaking so tomorrow after I get back from a trip to my friend Dees garden I am going to dye my wools.

I plan on using a plaid red and over dye it a antique black using the Antique Colours for Primitive Rugs formulas using Cushing Acid Dyes. By Emma Lou Lais and Barbara Carroll. I love this dye book I am just going to be like the tortoise and the hare and take my time. Cheri


Patriotic pails.
                                       I hope you enjoyed the Hooked Rug Show!

13 comments:

Terra said...

I like these hooked rugs and my favorite is the bicycle with the streamers flying from the handle bars. I used to have a bike like that.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Terra, i am surprised how many people like the bicycle rug , Cheri

Orange Sink said...

Cheri,
I LOVE looking at Polly's rugs! They are so fun! I think the chicken rug will be so much fun to hook and you might be surprised how quick it may hook up! When you are enjoying it so much it seems to go faster!
The bicycle rug is my favorite too!
Good luck with the dye pots!
Cathy G

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy, I just got back from my friends Dee's garden. I sure had fun.I am going to start dyeing an antique black for the back ground.
Cheri

Saundra said...

I love all Polly's stuff and hear thru the grapevine that she has another book in the making.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
I hope Saundra is correct that Polly is working on a new book. I LOVE that book. So many wonderful patterns.
Do you have any garden pics to share?
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

Julia said...

All the rugs are beautiful and I'm no exception, I love the bicycle rug best too. Have fun hooking. JB

Julia said...

I love all the patriotic rugs but the bicycle is my favorite one too.

Have fun hooking your big rug. JB

acorn hollow said...

Love the rugs and you hooking it in a diffrent colors would make it look very diffrent
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Gals, I had so much fun at Dee's she is so artistic and her house is sooooooo interesting. Dee use to be in my day rug hooking group.I am going to do a two part
Dee's garden and what she has worked on. If you look at some old posts you'll see her home. Cheri

Farm Girl said...

I have so wanted to see that book for so long. This is even better seeing the trunk show. Do you just sit there and stare? I think that each one is such a work of art.
I can't wait to see your rug.
Just beautiful.I would be hard pressed to decide which one I would start first.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Farmgirl,I agree with you each rug was totally a work of art. My rug will be a very long endeavor but it just takes one step at a time. Cheri

Leontien said...

Yep enjoyed it very much. gonna save the post so my mother in law can see it too!

Thanks
Leontien