Friday, April 22, 2011

Meyer lemon Tree is so pretty!

   Lemon Tree is so pretty
and the Lemon flower so sweet  
but the fruit of the poor lemon
is impossible
   to eat.

Peter Paul and Mary wrote those lyrics years ago and yet they still echo in my brain . When I started typing this recipe for Lemon Pie it was playing in my head over and over. I felt like a little hippie chick all I needed was some Birkenstocks a peasant blouse oh and a ticket to a outdoor stadium concert.


I was so excited to get a Meyer Lemon tree for my birthday a couple days ago .The reason is I have been trying to find some Meyer Lemons because of a delish Pie I ate. A girlfriend from my Tuesday rug hooking group made this wonderful Lemon Pie which was a slice of heaven and a big hit with all us hookers.
 A really sweet but tart pie is a great combination for a light tasting dish. This was so easy a recipe that I made it and yim yam yum it was so good!
If I can bake it I know it’s a great recipe.Remember my Valentine's day cake fiasco?



 Meyer Lemon Tree

I don’t know where this recipe originated from but using a blender for baking is my idea of simple and quick. So enjoy but remember it has to be Meyer lemons! It’s the perfect pie for Spring and summer.

Meyer lemon Pie Yum!

Important! You must use Meyer’s Lemons because you use the entire lemon, including rind goes into the pie.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
I med-large Meyer’s lemon cut into quarters and de seeded
(if lemons are small, substitute 2 small lemons.                            
Do not remove Rind but remove seeds!
1 ½ Cups sugar
4 eggs
1 stick butter
Put all the ingredients in a blender and Mix well
Pour mixture into pie shell(I use a frozen Marie Callendars-
Do not pre bake.)
Bake for 45-50 minutes at 350 (sometimes it takes longer to set, watch for light browning on top of the pie and crust)
 It is always fun to take something out of your garden and create a dish . It might be using your eggs from your chickens and making scones  or picking a couple lemons and making a simple Lemon Pie.I can hardly wait til next spring when I get some girls for my chicken coop. Cheri




                                                             

17 comments:

acorn hollow said...

Does a meyer lemon look diffrent? I do not believe I have ever had one.
cathy

Courtney said...

Oh, it sounds wonderful! I love lemon pie. Funny you should mention chickens...I hope to have some in the coming year!
Happy Easter!
Courtney

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy it looks like a normal lemon tree . My Aunt had a great lemon tree that produced lots of lemons it was a Meyer it looked like any other lemon tree. The lemons look normal too. Because you put the whole lemon in the blender it must have something to do with the rind.Maybe other lemons would give it a bitter taste. I am not sure.Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Courtney, Their so much fun. The girls if you hold them a lot they become pets. My girls when I had them were so tame.I had to laugh they would peck at my french doors for attention. I am only going to get 8 since there is only My hubby and me at home. I use to give eggs to everyone.

Kim said...

I bet a lemon tree would be so pretty. I just started eating lemon desserts again in the last year. There was an ugly incident in 1991 that scarred me for years. Heehee.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Do I dare ask?Lol

Julia said...

I'm wondering about that incident too. lol... I'm so envious of your lemon tree that you can grow outdoor. I had one that my daughter started from seed and also a grapefruit trees that bloomed in the house and then they died. They were as high as the ceiling and had some insect that got to it and I got tired of trying to get rid of them. Good luck with your new lemon tree. Happy Easter. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Happy Easter Julia!

Kim said...

Imagine a deep dish lemon pie, forgotten in a sealed compartment for 3weeks during an august heat wave. I had to clean out the dish. It was green and slimy and stinky. Even looking at one turned my stomach for years. Ewwwwww

Larkrise garden girl said...

Well Julia, We have our answer! Kim that sounds horrible Ick in August heat I can't even imagine.Have a Happy Easter and sweet smelling lemon thoughts!Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Yes. Tell Kim we want to hear the story. I'm sure it would be told with great humor :)
That sounds yummy but I never heard of a Meyer lemon.
Happy Easter!!!
Pug hugs :)
Lauren

...Miss...Maddie's... said...

And of course 'flowers in your hair' hippy girl...
The perfect gift that keeps on giving.
Have a wonderful Easter weekend.
Susan x

Larkrise garden girl said...

Everybody Happy Easter I will celebrating it with Megan and my son in law Hubby Maulie Mekenna and Hallie my granddogs. Morris has to stay home. A nice Easter ham which I am more excited to make into Ham soup.I hope you all have a wonderful Easter and remember the sacrifice that allowed Easter to be such a wonderful day.Hugs Cheri

Christine LeFever said...

Yum! And so pretty. What a nice gesture to give us the recipe. I shall have to locate Meyer's lemons.

Christine

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Christine, Sometimes they have them at farmers markets. That's where I got my last Meyer lemons.

Teresa said...

I wouldn't know between different types of lemons. It does sound like a good recipe.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Theresa , Thats the problem I had but you can usually find the lemons at farmers markets. The tree looks like a normal lemon tree. Happy Easter!