Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Flannel Bush Where's the wool?

                                                          
                                 April in California which means Iris are blooming.
                                 I drove over to Linda's to pick her up and I was early of course which meant
                                 I have time for pictures.Linda grows many native plants which use little water.
                                 This is called a flannel bush.
                                                                                                     
                                                                          Linda's front yard





                                                The shades of purple are really soothing to see.


                                        
                                                  



                                                         Dry river beds look great in a garden
                                                                             
                                                     
                                                           Iris Howse and Gardens in Bonita


Linda and I putted out to Bonita this morning to see the Iris in bloom at Iris Howse and Gardens. Linda navigated with my notes as I drove. We didn't want to go on the freeway so we took the long way to Bonita.  It was a more relaxing drive and we were in no hurry.
Iris Howse is known for having over 400 varieties of Iris which I think is quite a few. It was a pretty April day and I glad to see some of the Iris were blooming.
                    To me a blooming Iris field means spring is officially here in California.




                                                 Rows of Iris beds


The Iris beds are grown 
in front of their home.
                                                                 




                         This field of Iris in the front yard is so beautiful to see.
                          

                                                                                          




I love a variety of plants in a garden    

Little Easter bunny

                         Funny fact about me.The year I was born it was on Easter Day.             

18 comments:

Courtney said...

I love the Iris place...they are a wonderful flower in the garden. I really love your friend's garden with the purples and grays...just beautiful. We are starting to green up here in NE. I raked my flower beds on Sunday and they look like they are eager to go!
Courtney

Larkrise garden girl said...

Courtney, I bet your happy to get some spring weather.I love Linda's garden she puts alot of work into it. Cheri

Julia said...

What lovely gardens. I can't wait for my irises to bloom. I love irises so much. Thanks for these lovely photos. Some of my irises needs replanting but will have to wait until after they bloom. I can only do so much in the gardens. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, My back can only take so much gardening but the weather is mild right now So I am trying to get alot done before it gets hot!
My garden is more of a cottage garden.It's a hodge podge of plants and flowers.Cheri

acorn hollow said...

so pretty the snow is almost gone here in NH so My iris are waking up. the little house is so cute also.
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi cathy, I am glad your iris are waking up. I just love bulbs. I especially like tulips and daffodils but they don't grow very good here. Too warm.Cheri

Toni aka irishlas said...

What a gorgeous front yard your friend has!

The irises here are only just beginning to poke their heads through the ground.

Lovely pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Toni, I'll tell Linda I know she works hard in her garden. There was nothing there in her yard when she started gardening just dirt. Cheri

...Miss...Maddie's... said...

What a darling little cottage...
The Iris, the poor man's orchid as the Victorians referred to it are beautiful!
Susan x

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Susan, Thanks for the tidbit about the iris.Cheri

Ter'e said...

I hope this doesn't sound like a crazy question - but, my son was born on an Easter Sunday. Every 11 years, his birthday falls on Easter again. Is it the same for you??? I don't know how, exactly, this rule works out, but it does.
He was born 4/11/71.
Gorgeous photos. Absolutely gorgeous.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Ter'e, I don't know about every 11 years it's been awhile.It feels alot longer then 11 years. I was born in 1954. Maybe it's coming around again. I feel so young and have so many things I want to do.I am glad you like the pictures. It's fun to think what am I going to next take a picture of.Cheri

Christine LeFever said...

What a lovely tour of gardens in your area! I love it! And now I am going to construct on my property, a "dry river bed". I have scads of rocks here. What fun!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Christine, That's what I like about blogging the idea's. I too want to copy Linda's river bed.The purple plants next to the dry river bed accent it so well.If you need a name of a plant she planted on her river bed I can always ask her what she planted.Have Fun! Cheri

Leontien said...

oh wow they look great! i have some Irisses but they have just come up out of the ground. Thanks you for your sweet comment on my post and i hope your Daughter is doing well!

Thanks
Leontien

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Leontien, I just think your such a good writer and others can learn so much by your
blog. Keep getting better every day,Cheri

Rugs and Pugs said...

Cheri ~
What a lovely garden your friend has. A lot of work but just beautiful! The iris howse looks like a fun place to visit, too.
I wish the weather in northern Ohio would improve. I've only worked outside 1 day...just too darned cold!
Hugs :)
Lauren

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Lauren, I love gardening and I am lucky enough to have a friend that also loves to garden! This has been a long winter for everybody back East.I need to wotk on my rug hooking but I keep playing in the garden! Cheri