Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What does Rug hooking and the Wizard of Oz have in Common?

  The Wizard of Oz


What have you learned, Dorothy?



Dorothy: Well, I - I think that it - it wasn't enough to just want to see Uncle Henry and Auntie Em - and it's that - if I ever go looking for my heart's desire again, I won't look any further than my own back yard. Because if it isn't there, I never really lost it to begin with! Is that right?


What does Rug Hooking and  the Wizard of Oz have in Common? I was relating to  the characters of this Wonderful Movie and how they think 
they're missing something in their life!

What kind of a Rug hooker are you?

A Dorothy Rug Hooker who doesn’t appreciate her Hooked Rugs until she see’s them with fresh eyes through friends. Someone who gives her rugs away before she realizes how good her Rugs are.  A hooker that appreciates her rug now that is hanging somewhere else Lol! As Rug hookers we need to appreciate that our rugs do improve each time we Hook and each is special.

A  Scarecrow who thinks he has no brains.  Try something  new in your hooking . Why not try a rug that’s not your usual hooked Rug. Think outside your rug hooking comfort zone.Rug Hookers create in many styles
maybe your loops are never perfect but those loops are yours!

The Tin Woodsman who wants a heart . You don’t have to be famous to put your thoughts and memories and  hook them on your blank burlap and create. We all enjoy looking at a rug that someone has retold a story in their rug of their life. Those rugs are truly special.They are the essence of what Hooking is about.

The Cowardly Lion who is afraid of everything including his

Tail. Maybe your afraid to experiment with color in your Rugs because it might turn out different then you originally wanted. To be creative you have to risk doing something that others might think is odd

Or not understand.

So as I have my Wizard of Oz moment I realize I have to be the Horse of a different color. Remember when they were in Oz and there was a Horse of a different color? SO

Does a Cow have to be brown or black or white?

My Cow I am hooking is soft purple check with light pink markings.
I am trying to create a simple rug that speaks to me.

 So Which character would you be in The Wizard of Oz?

Hmmmm ,It would be nice to be the good witch Glinda.
Glinda who is so good and pretty and is the big ball of niceness but also
able to dole out wisdom.As long as I am not a flying monkey I am doing fine.Lol
Cheri
A heart is not judged by how much you love; but by how much you are loved by others.





                                                                               

10 comments:

acorn hollow said...

great post. I find that I like a rug but when I go back to look at it I don't like it as much as I did. not all rugs just some rugs.
cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy, I find I compare my hooking to others and I need to just hook and enjoy the talent I have.Maybe were just hard on ourselves since there are a lot of great hookers out there,

Courtney said...

I love this post! I am rather hard on myself about my rug projects. Especially when I have to figure out the color. I'm trying really hard to experiment with joy and believe that nothing is "wrong" and anything in rug hooking can be unhooked and changed...or just go on to another project and squirrel the other away in the closet! LOL I guess that would make me the lion...cowardly, but with a secretly courageous heart.
Courtney

Julia said...

Cheri, this is brilliant thinking. You should post this on RUG HOOKING DAILY. It's that good and very timely.

I love all my rugs that I designed myself but I still can find little things that I would do different if ever I was to hook them again. I never tire of looking at them though and it even surprises me that I don't get tired of them.

I'm learning something new as I go along because I've taken on challenges like The Secret Forest Challenge, and now The Grandmother's Trunk Challenge with Sunnie also April DeConick's Virtual Color Palette Challenge.

Each time I take on a challenge, I ask myself why and then the answer is obvious. To grow in my craft... Thanks for this post Cheri. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, I just was thinking yesterday how were so hard on ourselves about when we do any project . It might be quilting ,rug hooking ,or anything and the only way to grow in any thing we do is to experiment. To challenge ourselves.We look at what others are doing sometimes too much we need to just look at the gifts we have in us and just enjoy and learn.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Courtney, That is so funny! I am also the cowardly Lion. I compare myself to my other
rug hooker friend and then I start to feel defeated. I look at a rug I made years ago and I have improved and I am never going to have better loops until I try harder but each rug is an improvement.I think Rug hooking is an artistic form just because we use wool and not paint we create something that is unique.

Christine LeFever said...

Self love is first and foremost, or so I've learned recently through various books, and you have come along with this just the very week I learned it. Your post emphasizes this very important lesson and through none other than the delightful world of rug hooking. I must get out my finished project!

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Christine, Self Love at times is so selfish a thought for me and yet it isn't a bad thing. To accept ourselves where we are in Life and to accept what God given talents we have. There so many talented people doing so many projects that take creativity to a whole new world.Maybe what we create won't get ooohs and Ahhhhs but maybe the lesson in that is that we need to give that to ourselves.Have fun creating!

Rug Restorer said...

I restore hand made rugs for living and restoring hand hooked rugs are very hard. Ones you learn how to do it you respect the rug a lot.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Rug Restorer,I totally agree with you. Just matching colors would be a challenge.