Thursday, March 10, 2011

Farm friend Friday at Verde Farm from my Little Larkrise

   It’s Farm friend Friday at Verde Farm , this is my Farm related posting.

   This spoke to my heart. To all the real farmers this poem says it all.
   I saw this poem at the Writers Almanac   by Joyce Sutphen

                                                                             I know it's just a little tractor.


Girl on a Tractor


I knew the names of all the cows before

I knew my alphabet, but no matter the

subject; I had mastery of it, and when

it came time to help in the fields, I

learned to drive a tractor at just the right

speed, so that two men, walking

on either side of the moving wagon                

could each lift a bale, walk towards

the steadily arriving platform and                                                     

simultaneously hoist the hay onto

the rack, walk to the next bale, lift,

turn, and find me there, exactly where

I should be, my hand on the throttle,

carefully measuring out the pace.

9 comments:

Courtney said...

I love poetry...everything about it...rhythm, imagery, pacing, words, sound...this is a lovely poem. I might use it with my students at school if I may.
thanks,
Courtney

Kim said...

I'm not a farm girl but I love that little tractor.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim, I am not a farm girl like the blogs I read.but I do country Life. I am a farm girl wanna be!I have a great respect for people that make their living in the soil and raise animals for the rest of us.cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Courtney, Here is where I found the poem.
http://writersalmanac.publicradio.org/

I love poetry too! the different forms of expression is wonderful.I enjoy this site because Garrison Keilor does a good job of introducing different poets to you. I think it's O.k. to use as long as you put the authors
name. I had a discussion about this with my daughter about what can you copy on the internet.The poem had a Willa Cather feel to it,
Cheri

Buttons said...

This is a cute poem I learned how to drive the tractor so I would not be the one on the ground throwing the bales up. Girls are better in the seat. B

Larkrise garden girl said...

Your funny, buttons.

Julia said...

I'm a transplant farm girl of sort but I don't drive tractors except the small lawn mower tractor. Our tractors are huge and I like small, not big... I'm quite content to be a calf girl and I still like playing in the garden doing what it takes to get my plants and flowers growing.

Cute poem. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Julia, Being a calf girl would be fun.I think next year when I get chickens I will be a chicken girl again.For now I can just look at an empty coop.

flowerweaver said...

Love the poem and the picture!