Thursday, March 24, 2011

The country life of Grandma Moses


It’s Farm Friend Friday and I am enjoying all the blogs with pictures of animals, gardens and anything Farm related. My post is about an artist that show’s her love of the country life she lived in Grandma Moses. Years ago in our San Diego art museum we had an exhibit of Grandma Moses and her wonderful paintings and embroideries. I could hardly wait to see all her simple primitive paintings! There were hundreds of paintings that depicted her early rural life.I have never loved an exhibit more.I have been to many art museums and seen Rembrandt's and the old masters but this simple primitive painter caught a slice of a world that was truly heartwarming.


I have loved the simplicity of this wonderful folk artist who began painting at 76 after arthritis stopped her from her hobby of wool embroidery.Grandma Moses was born in 1876 and lived to be 101.



 Anna Mary Robertson or Grandma Moses is the best known primitive painter with her wonderful scenes of farm life and the memories of her childhood. There is a little bit of Grandma Moses in us all if you think about it.Grandma Moses vision of country life is so enduring and sweet. Did you know she was friends with Norman Rockwell?I look at all the Farm blogs and think if you were able to try to depict your Country Life I wonder if you could be a little bit of Grandma Moses.Depicting our way of Life in art is something all of us can do simply with a little bit of  effort using whatever we enjoy to work with.I like rug hooking and quilting but even if I am not good at painting
I draw hope from a simple painter who just put her hand to the brush and created.
   Grandma Moses was put on a million things in the 1950's
This is a can I found at a thrift store.

 This is a part of a copy I have
of a Grandma Moses painting. There was too much
of a glare when taking a photo but it gives you an idea of
her paintings. 

27 comments:

Julia said...

I love your post Cheri. You did a splendid job of selling Gradma Moses and I'm so glad that you found a can depicting a Grandma Moses painting.
In feel the same about Lewis Maude's paintings.
Of course as I look at any paintings these days I think of how nice it would look on a rug. Thanks for sharing this with us. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, I am going to check out Lewis Maude's
paintings. You should put your blog on Verde Farms Farm friend Friday. You have a farm!I post on Fridays something to do with Country Life.

Leontien said...

Hello!
Very new to your blog bu found you via Verde Farm!
Hope you see you lot's more! and i hope you come over and check my blog out...

Thanks
Leontien

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi There back to you Leontien,What a pretty name. I am glad you liked my blog.I'll go check you out right now, Cheri

Anne's Original Hooked Rugs said...

Just love those paintings....that is my second desire..to be able to do acrylic paintings...I guess there is still hope for me if my hands deny me rug hooking...I guess we are never too old to learn...

Teresa said...

What a great post, especially considering it's Women's History Month! I love the pictures you've shared.

Larkrise garden girl said...

I believe that no matter how old we get if we can't do something we love then we need to find something that sparks our interest. That's what keeps us going as body parts wear out. I bet Anne you would be really good at paintings or whatever strikes your interests.Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Teresa , Where have I been I didn't know it was Womens History Month.I am glad you liked my post. Cheri

Toni aka irishlas said...

I found your blog through Farm Friend Friday. Can't wait to look through the posts.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Toni , I hope you enjoy my posts! Don't forget to look at the old posts I thought they were interesting. Cheri

Jennifer said...

Pretty :)

A Rural Journal said...

An American original. Love her paintings. :)

Home In The Hollow said...

What a beautiful painting! Stopping by from Home in the Hollow...:)JP

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks I loved your blog! aren't Farm friend fridays Fun!

Gail said...

A delightful artist...great post in her honor.

Kay said...

Hey girl, this was the only way that I knew how to email you. I have put up the instructions for Emma's Shawl on Ravelry. You know, the brown, thistle and turquoise granny square shawl? Thought you would want to make it. K

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Kay I will check it out. Cheri

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Gail

flowerweaver said...

I have always enjoyed the work of Grandma Moses. How cool that you got to experience an entire exhibit! My friend at Punkin's Patch (My Favorite Sheep who also participates in Farm Friend Friday) paints in a similar style. You can see her work at http://myfavoritesheep.blogspot.com/ Thanks for visiting my blog!

JoyceAnn said...

Great post ! I've seen some of Grandma Moses's artwork and like you , I love her art. I didn't know she started painting so late in life , thanks for sharing this wonderful painter. It's inspiring !

~ Farm Friend Blessings ~

Deborah Jean @ Dandelion House said...

Hi!
Thanks for your sweet note on my BnB post and for following at Dandelion House too! I enjoyed this post.. Love Grandma Moses! Come play along with others at my Farmgirl Friday Blog hop sometime!
Deb

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Everyone I am glad you all appreciate this wonderful artist. Have a great weekend.Cheri

Patrice said...

Great post! I'm glad you visited my blog, Everyday Ruralty,this week. I couldn't help but stop by to say hello when I read your name. Three of my daughters and I are completely addicted to the Larkrise to Candleford Series. We are well versed in everything Jane Austen, Elizabeth Gaskill, and some of Georgette Heyer, Etc. I have been a PBS British show fan for years. We have seen the first two seasons of Larkrise and are currently awaiting the rest, which were recently purchased by our local library. Unfortunately, they are not shown on any channel we get. The girls and I have decided that I am definitely the Emma character of that show. How I relate to her! Have a good rest of the weekend:)

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Patrice, I love Lark rise to Candleford. Jane Austen is my favorite author.PBS and their british shows are wonderful!Oh how funny your Emma. Lol I do have bad news the larkrise show is cancelled because the writer or producer wants to move on. I was so sad to hear that. I think there are four more episodes when they get back to showing the curent episodes. All the good shows get cancelled.(sad face)Have a fun week and be a good Emma and don't get into too much trouble.Cheri

gail said...

Hi! I am a fan of
Grandma Moses as well and came across some vintage Barkcloth Drapes that have her work displayed on them as well. I collect Barkcloth Fabric, mostly floral, but was pleasantly surprised to find print with more of a "primitive" folk art theme to it.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Gail, Wow that is wonderful about the drapes! I love primitive and Grandma Moses paintings. You collect barkcloth fabric isn't that hard to find? Cheri

Anonymous said...

Sign me up for the giveaway. Thanks