Thursday, January 13, 2011

What's your Favorite Rug Hook and where did you get it?

                                             My Many Rug Hooks




Over the years I have bought and been given different Rug Hooks to find that special fit when I am a hooking a new rug. I have even changed my hooks mid project because it just didn’t feel right. I bought a Hook in Virginia at a wonderful event called the Waterford Home Tour and Craft Exhibit

 It was my favorite vacation in Virginia many years ago. The event showcased weavers, basket makers civil war soldiers, spinners you name any Early American craft and they had it.  During my day at Waterford I bought a small skinny hook that I had to add a pencil thing to make it more comfortable.
 Coming from the West coast to see this small town plus all the great crafts was a dream come true!     I like my chunkier hook too ,also I bought that one and the larger small Hook at the Country Loft. My friend Janet gave me the other small Hook that I love. So am I the only Rug Hooker that uses different hooks on the same Rug?

9 comments:

acorn hollow said...

I use a bent nail hook. I too have a lot of hooks but I always go back to that. I think the action is right for my wrist.
Cathy

Julia said...

Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog Cheri. How lucky that you can weed and garden while we have frozen ground covered with snow. Winter isn't too bad but it sure isn't my favorite time of year.
Nice bunch of hooks.
My favorite hook is a Joan Moshinger hook. I have three sizes and prefer the medium one with the fine cuts.

Gayle said...

I think my favorite hook is my Hartman primitive one - it's the one I use most often. However, I do own many different ones and it's not unusual to switch them during a project - I've heard that it's a good idea to do that in an effort to avoid carpal tunnel developing.

Kim said...

I have tried many different hooks but I always seem to go back to my first one - a chunky stubby hook. I would like to try the bent shaft hooks and did buy one but I find the hook edge too thin and it seems to shred my wool. But I am always on the look out for a better one.

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Kim,Cathy,Gayle,Julia, Thanks for the input. I have been hooking for a while and several of my friends did develop problems with their wrists and have surgery.I find i feel like I am fighting the wool to get it in the holes sometimes.Does anyone else have that problem? Cheri

Joanne said...

I think my hartman is my favorite - but i often switch on to ease hand pain - I love to find an old antique one and use it for a while. If you are fighing with the wool to get it in the hole then try pushing your hook in further to open the hole more - maybe a thicker hook like the primitive hartman would help if you are doing wider strips

Larkrise garden girl said...

Thanks Joanne , I am going to try that hint! Cheri

...Miss...Maddie's... said...

I had once attempted hooking but found it a little difficult at the time and instead became addicted to knitting.
Hope you are nearly settled and feeling content in your new home.
I adore all the Austen flicks and could easily have a non-stop marathon going if tempted.
Susan x

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Susan, My daughter loves to knit socks!!!! Megan even went to a sock camp given by Cat Bordhi a couple months ago. I just can knit a simple scarf.We are still moving stuff around and last night my quilt table went in my tiny quilt room but I was so happy!!! I love Jane Austen. Have you been watching Downton Abbey on PBS? The series Downton Abbey is like upstairs downstairs PBS series from years ago.Cheri