Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Old Gardening Books


                    I have a million things to do


today but I found this old book and it stopped me in my tracks. I just wonder how many of us out there Love Books. Especially Old Books. To Me the reader Books that have the smell of years gone by are the best. I enjoy little Bits of dust that you have to wipe off the front cover of a old used book at a book sale. I love Books and I love reading  and I passed it to my daughter.I enjoy going thousands of miles away in a turn of a page or centuries away with a good novel. I love Books that you see at garage sales that are sitting in a box as you bend over to find a prize.

Years ago I use to visit a place on Vacation called Hearts Ease in Cambria and I noticed their old gardening books that were for sale. They were interesting sitting on the shelves with their information just as important as a new gardening book today. Part of my nature is my collecting joy, Over the years I would  collect old gardening books. The book I found again today is called Wild Flowers Every Child Should Know by Frederic William Stack.

This book is so interesting to look at with it black and white photo’s to its date of 1909.I wonder how many parents and grandparents buy books with gardening and plant themes. I wonder how many of us know the names when we go into the mountains on walks. I Think those of us that love plants should pass on something of our joy. I think it’s special when you know the names of the plants that you see along your daily path. Because to me Wildflowers are like sprinkles on cupcakes and just as delicious!

6 comments:

acorn hollow said...

wonderful post I just came across a few old gardening books I do not believe they are as old as yours but lovely in their own right
Cathy

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Cathy, I am glad there are readers out there that appreciate Books,The old gardening books have a lot of information to pass on,Cheri

Julia said...

Old books are a great way to revisit the past when life was lived and savored and values were strong.
I have a couple of old books that my brother in law gave me and one of them is called REMINISCENCES of SCOTTISH and CHARACTERS by Dean RAMSAY. These is no publishing date but the book is old and instead of printed illustrations on some of the pages, the 16 illustrations are cut outs and glued right on the pages. It is the 22 edition. JB

Larkrise garden girl said...

Hi Julia, That sounds wonderful! Reading has been one of my life long Joys,Cheri

Alicia@ eco friendly homemaking said...

What a neat old book. We have several old gardening books and they are wonderful. So full of great information.

Larkrise garden girl said...

I appreciate books and how even the old ones are packed with ideas. Cheri