Friday, August 20, 2010

Primitive Rughooker Bev

Bev’s Primitive Rug Hooking Story




Beverly grew up in the great state of Tennessee where she lived with her grandparents and mother on her grandfathers farm. The house was an antebellum style home on over a hundred acres. Wow! Bev explained to me how her grandfather grew cotton and alfalfa. Bev’s memories of all the little animals that lived on the farm from horses to chickens to mules was sweet. She fondly recalled harvest time on the farm with everyone pitching in to harvest the crops on time.

Bev's Grandparents House

Years ago Bev introduced me to the great craft of Rug hooking. I eagerly wanted to interview her for my blog Back to Lark Rise. I was hoping to capture some wonderful pictures of her Primitive style rugs. I knew that Bev’s Rugs are truly a work of art. Primitive style rugs usually have wool strips that are cut one quarter inch. I prefer using linen for my background but going back many generations burlap was commonly used. Primitive rug hooking typically depicts animals, homes, barns and all sorts of Americana scenes. I wondered what created Bev's  interest so many years ago in Rug hooking. As she told me about growing up in Tennessee on the farm I just thought to myself that how could you not be influenced by the country scenes around you.But I would find out what piqued her interest in Primitive Rughooking as we talked further.

Bev and I had a fun converstion about her years as a stewardess for American Airlines She worked at Yellowstone Park and even at El Cajon Valley News. I loved hearing about her life growing up.I hope you enjoy these pictures as I  try to capture the beauty of this primitive art form.

0 comments: