Thursday, August 26, 2010

More Hooking with Bev




The Wonderful World of My Rug Hooking Friends




This is my continuing story of my friend Bev and her joy of rug hooking. Bev explained to me that years ago she started hooking when she bought a red school house pattern for half price.Bev was fascinated by the art of hooking and a hooker was born!Bev and her friends would take classes in dying wools in Orange California with Jennifer Mckelvie.Wanting to learn more about rug hooking off she would go with a few friends for classes at The Quilted Apple in Phoenix with Emma Lou Lais in 1995 and 1998 .Eventually she would share her knowledge and teach at Country Loft in La Mesa. That’s where I met Bev.While Bev was showing me her rugs she let me have a peak at her stash of wools. I must admit I had wool envy! I thought I had a lot of wool Boy was I wrong.


The process of primitive rug hooking
The thing is you can go into a quilt store and there are many varieties of cotton but with rug hooking you have to build a library of wools. Creating the look of primitive rug hooking means more muted colors and antique looking colors that sometimes you  can't easily find at one shop. There is an art to getting your colors right in your rug. Lots of thought goes into getting the right primitive look for your rug. Simply put you need a bunch of wool to get a good result.It can be as simple as going to thrift stores and finding used wool skirts and overdying them. So happy hooking and start looking for wool!



 I love this Rug









 Moose in progress
Look at the different colors of the pine trees.  Bev uses different shades of green to make the picture look real. The moose also has a variety of browns . Even at this stage in the hooking you can see how well the rug is going to turn out.

0 comments: